[PC-BSD Testing] Testing 7.1 RC1

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Tue Mar 31 06:57:57 PST 2009

Yvan Martin wrote:
> First the good stuff:
> 1. Firefox and Thunderbird worked right away, which had not been the
> case with the Betas.
> 2. I was not presented with a choice of nVidia drivers, but nv behaved
> well which is all a normal user would expect.

There is no amd64 Nvidia driver for FreeBSD as of yet. We're still
waiting for a few crucial things to be added to the BSD system before
nvidia will release a driver for us:

http://wiki.freebsd.org/NvidiaFeatureRequests

> This was on my 64bit AMD desktop with 7600GT video card. I also noticed
> there was no longer the four iterations of the WRITE_MIXER error I had
> been seeing upon existing PC-BSD through the last few versions of the
> 1.x series and the earlier 7.x versions. This being said PC-BSD 7.1 RC1
> still does not know how to handle my M-Audio Revolution 5.1 Sound Card.
> The volume is still 10db lower than on Windows or Linux and while I can
> turn the volume up much higher the dynamics are simply not there and the
> music sounds dull... plus for someone who switches between OSes, it
> makes no sense to be running barely open for the other other OSes and
> almost all the way up for PC-BSD to get a similar volume level (with
> less dynamics). I realize the problem may well be with the FreeBSD layer
> but this would keep me from using PC-BSD as my principal Desktop OS, at
> least at this point in time... Kmix simply does not see the hardware
> only the OSS driver.
>
> At the same time I had to pull the 32bit version on my Acer Aspire One
> netbook. The two previous versions would simply not run reliably: some
> times the touchpad worked fully and would respond to taps and scroll
> motiions... but most often, it would not and I was forced to use the
> buttons on either side of the touchpad (which are awful on that machine).
>
> Possibly worse was the fact that the wireless network worked at best 50%
> of the time. I would only find out after booting into PC-BSD whether or
> not it would work. In the end, it was simply too frustrating to keep
> doing this... too bad because the OS showed promise in terms of response
> on a netbook class machine, although the startup time was quite long.
>
> I will keep trying to use PC-BSD on my desktop for now and maybe one day
> revisit on the netbook PC.

Unfortunately with these kind of HW issues, such as sound / network
there's not a lot we can do at the moment, until the support is added
into FBSD. The good news is that I'm hearing most of these issues are
solved in FreeBSD 8. I plan on starting to do PC-BSD 8 snapshots
sometime during the summer, so you may be interested in using those on
these effected laptops when they are available.

http://www.pcbsd.com