Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 11:49:33 PST 2009

Dear Kris -- Here are the answers to the questions in your reply:

========== K-Menu Problem =================================================

>> 2.  Kicker Problem -- Could not get Kicker menu to expand on mouse click.
>> It worked at first.  I expanded it to large, I added "terminal" to
>> favorites, and then I launched a terminal in which I ran nvidia-settings.
>> No problems there.  I selected "runports" which loaded the runports
terminal
>> fine.  After that, I lost control of the Kicker menu.  I rebooted and it
is
>> functioning normal at this time.

>Sounds like a kde bug to me, if you can find a way to consistently
>reproduce the bug, maybe check and file a bug report at bugs.kde.org :)

>> I do not know if there is a connection between the loss of K-menu and the
>> subsequent loss of the desktop icons, but I thought I would raise the
>> possibility in case there was a great conspiracy afoot.
>>
>> Ian Robinson
>>Salem, Ohio
>>

>Interesting, almost sounds like a video driver issue. What card / driver
>are you using right now?

- - K-Menu bug  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Kris --

I do not know how to induce the K-menu bug, and I cannot tie it to anything
in particular.  It has happened only 2x in the past 40  hours.  I will
search the KDE bugs site and I will report it.
I cannot rule out that it is a video card problem.  I am using an Nvidia
Quadro FX 3400 (256 Mb) and Nvidia driver version 180.35.

======= Diagnostic Sheet Problem ===========================================

>> 3.  Generate Diagnostic Sheet Problem.  After loading System Manager, I
went
>> to generate a diagnostic sheet.  I received the following error message:
>>
>> KDE Control Module.
>> Could not find mime type "application/octet-stream"
>> then
>> Could not find mime types:
>> ?inode/directory?
>> ?inode/blockdevice?
>> ?inode/chardevice?
>> ?inode/socket?
>> ?inode/fifo?
>> ?application/x-shellscript?
>> ?application/x-executable?
>> ?application/x-desktop?
>>
>> After continuing to click OK through the error messages and eventually
>> Kwrite came up and displayed the text.  When I tried to save it, it
reported
>> that I did not have sufficient permissions, but it saved it anyway.

>I'm not able to duplicate this bug here. Did you do a fresh install, or
>upgrade a 7.0.x system?

Kris -- This was a fresh install.

===== System Manager Incorrect Memory Report ===============================
>> 2.  System Manager displays negative amount of memory.  This is a trivial
>> bug.  After entering the System Manager, the display window with the
PCBSD
>> Logo and the option tabs displays the system memory as -805,351,424B.
>>
>> dmesg reports real memory  = 3489615872 (3327 MB), avail memory =
3401822208
>> (3244 MB)

>Thats weird!
>
>Can you run this:
>
># sysctl hw.realmem
>
>Thats what the system manager is using to pull the available memory on
>the system. Maybe our function is failing to read that int properly.

- - syscstl output - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A.  Here is the output of syscstl:

root at pcbsd# sysctl hw.realmem
hw.realmem: 3489615872
root at pcbsd#

- - random thoughts  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

B.  This computer has 4 Gb of memory installed, not all of which is usable
the i386 version of FreeBSD 7.1, and doing some "math" to calculate unused
or
unaccessed memory, we get:

using the dmesg "real memory" of 3,489,615,872
+4,096,000,000
-3,489,615,872
=  606,384,128 difference between actual and usable in FreeBSD (i386)

using the dmesg "available memory" number ... 3,401,822,208
+4,096,000,000
-3,401,822,208
=  694,177,792

Perhaps considering the fact that FreeBSD (i386) cannot use 4 Gb of RAM,
perhaps
there is a calculation going relative to the "unused" or "unaccessed" RAM
being
subtracted from some number.  When you compare the 694,177,729 to the
805,351,424 (don't know what to do with the "B"), and ignoring the "+" or
"-" signs, they are 111,173,632 to 198,967,296 apart -- not too far apart
considering the size of the bytes involved.

Ian Robinson
Salem, Ohio