[PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD 7.1-RC1

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Mon Mar 30 06:00:59 PST 2009

Ian Robinson wrote:
> Testing PCBSD 7.1-RC1 on a P-4, dual Xeon  3.4Ghz.  PCBSD is installed for
> i386.
>
> 1.  Compared with 7.1-Beta1, there is an awesome increase in speed observed
> as programs launch.  Browsers like Konqueror, Opera, and SeaMonkey snap onto
> the screen.  Firefox loads faster too, but one still has to wait for the
> bouncing thingy  to finish.

Yea, I see that here, apps are much faster now :)

> 2.  CUPS printing loaded faster and performed its operations faster.  CUPS
> would often drag when bringing up the database of printer models.   Printer
> (HP LaserJet 4) works.

Great! I had to hunt down and make links to all the various "ppd"
directories, since CUPS wasn't auto-locating them anymore.

> 3.  Update Manager Problem.  The "bonus" programs included OpenOffice
> 2.4.x.  However, the current version of OpenOffice available for PC-BSD
> 32bit v.7.x as a PBI is OpenOffice 3.0.1.   The Update Manager does not
> detect that OO has an upgrade.

I think this was by design, right now we don't do a update from OO2 ->
OO3, since its a major version change, and some users prefer to stay on
2. (3 is missing the spell-checking database, and installing extensions
is broken on BSD)

http://www.pcbsd.com