[PC-BSD Testing] Installation bug report 7.1 BETA1

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Fri Mar 27 10:11:22 PST 2009

tvb377 at gmx.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> being new to this list (and PCBSD), please take my apologies
> if I report already known bugs.
>
> I installed PCBSD 7.1-BETA1 amd64 on an AMD64 dual core from a DVD.
> I noticed:
> 1) could not install onto a USB harddisk.
>    da<x> did not show up in the partition manager while being
>    reported by the kernel's boot messages correctly.

Can you send me the output of a "dmesg" for this system? I'll take a
look at why it didn't show up.

> 2) then reverted to an internal SATA disk.
>    That one already had slices + (FreeBSD) partitions on it, leaving no
>    space on the disk (as I noticed later).
>    Clicking on ad0 did not show space to install.
>    I clicked "use entire disk", being a way to proceed.
>    The installer then hung endless, the last message saying something
>    like "mounting source media".
>    Next time I tried to check the advanced partition editor.
>    That reported the partitions incorrectly (-512MB as a size), and
>    I was unable to delete them. Blindly proceeding anyway led to the same
>    result as with entire disk.
>    I could only install by manually deleting the partitions with another
>    partition editor. Then everything went fine.
>    It seems that at least the "entire disk" checkbox does not lead to
>    repartitioning + formatting of the hard disk.
>    IMHO, the check box "advanced" that allows you to edit the partitions
>    should be a button opening a dialog, if possible. That I feel would
>    be clearer.

I'm thinking that this is related to the missing "da0", it probably
messed up our script which detects disks / space available to install
on. If you can get me a sample dmesg, I'll see if I can figure it out.

> 3) The installer should give the user the opportunity to change his
>    user id (maybe with an "advanced" button ?).

Do you normally use a different user id number? I've never been asked to
support that before :)

> 4) I configured X to use "vesa" and 1920x1200. That does not seem to
>    work. It uses silently 1600x1200.
>    I later switched to radeonhd and 1920x1200. That worked well.

The vesa driver is more of a fail-safe, and often doesn't work with
higher-resolutions properly. Glad that radeonhd worked though.

> 5) nice to have: selecting a non-us keymap should result in a console
>    keymap selected in rc.conf. That did not work.

Can you give me an example of this? What keymap did you choose, and what
should have been placed in rc.conf to make it work? Right now it
*should* setup some keymaps in rc.conf properly, but maybe the one you
used didn't work :(

> Otherwise, PCBSD looks really nice! I particularly like the PBI stuff!

Glad you like it!

> If I can test something for you of the above again, please notify me.
>
> Cheers
> Titus

Keep the reports coming, if we can knock out your found bugs, then
everybody benefits.

http://www.pcbsd.com