[PC-BSD Testing] Mouse not working

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Mon Mar 23 07:10:39 PST 2009

Kenneth Billis wrote:
> I've missed something which I assume your first question is getting at. I've
> booted from the CD with the mouse unplugged. When the first installation
> screen (language, keyboard etc.) is displayed, I've re-plugged the mouse.
> The mouse remains undetected with no illumination.

I'm guessing that something with the Xorg 7.4 update has broken the
mouse support on your system. Can you try this? Leave the mouse plugged
in, and start the install CD. At the boot splash-screen, try the option
for "Boot to emergency console" (6 i think). When the console comes up,
try moving your mouse around, if moused is working, it should show a
cursor at the console menu.

If the mouse works at the console, then lets see if we can fix Xorg. Go
to the shell prompt via the emergency menu, and edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Look for this section:

Section "ServerFlags"
         Option "DisableVidModeExtension" "True"
         Option "AutoAddDevices" "False"
         Option "AllowEmptyInput" "Off"
         #Option "NoTrapSignals"  "True"
         #Option "DisableModInDev"  "True"
EndSection

Comment out the two middle options:

Section "ServerFlags"
         Option "DisableVidModeExtension" "True"
         #Option "AutoAddDevices" "False"
         #Option "AllowEmptyInput" "Off"
         #Option "NoTrapSignals"  "True"
         #Option "DisableModInDev"  "True"
EndSection

Then run the command "startx" and it should bring up the installer GUI.
If disabling those options brings back your mouse, please let me know.
They are setup the way they are right now because when moving to Xorg
7.4, they caused some problems with various systems, but in your case
maybe they are needed.

http://www.pcbsd.com