Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 19:52:34 PST 2009

KenD said, "Perhaps I am expecting too much coming from OpenBSD, but a
number of ports do not seem to properly fetch prerequisites [e.g. see
below].

autom4te: need GNU m4 1.4 or later: /usr/local/bin/gm4
gmake[2]: *** [autoconf.in] Error 1
gmake[2]: Leaving directory
`/usr/ports/devel/autoconf262/work/autoconf-2.62/bin'
gmake[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
gmake[1]: Leaving directory
`/usr/ports/devel/autoconf262/work/autoconf-2.62'
gmake: *** [all] Error 2
*** Error code 2
Stop in /usr/ports/devel/autoconf262.
*** Error code 1
Stop in /usr/ports/lang/guile.

Can some kind soul help me out here?

Thanks much, -KenD

and Brian said, "Ports are broken completely for me with this beta."

Ken - Yes.  Brian - Not true.

Ken, I had the same problem, especially w/ autoconf262 spawning an error,
until Kris Moore provided this solution that sets some environmental
variables in order to ensure ports build properly.

1.  Run the "runports" command [Kmenu -> System -> RunPorts (root)]
2.  At the root prompt, type make and hit Enter
3.  Kris also advised that the make command runs through the many installed
packages and will pause on almost every one and presents a blue screen
reminiscent of sysinstall in order to let you customize the settings and
components.  That makes the process a lengthy one.  You can avoid this e
blue options screen with an edit (as root) to /etc/make.conf.  Uncomment
BATCH=yes, this makes it take all the defaults. Also through the "makeports"
option, you can use pkg_add if you like at the same time. You'll want to
refer to the FreeBSD docs for usage on this.

After running this commands, you will find that ports installs fine.

Ian Robinson
Salem, Ohio