[PC-BSD Testing] Alpha/Beta Testing Checklist

Koziol, Arthur a-koziol at neiu.edu
Thu Mar 19 06:56:06 PST 2009

>> offense intended Ian, I used to
>> test extensively for Symantec a few years back and they used a
>> checklist approach. Personally, I hated it because it got testers so
>> focussed on the list that they ended up just doing just the list. The
>> most interesting bugs were rarely found by the testers who followed
>> the list.   :-)
>>
>> Actually, it would work OK as long as we didn't insist that everybody
>> do that. Being retired I don't have the patience to follow a
>> checklist
>> anymore. Besides, it is always nice to have people who come in and
>> turn on the computer and think I wonder what the hell would happen if
>> I tried this...  Just my two cents worth, but how about just putting
>> it forth as a set of guidelines instead of a checklist. the
>> difference
>> is more a bit of semantics than anything, but I do better with
>> guidelines than I do with checklists.   :-)
>
> Bill,
>
> I see what you mean with the checklist. You do run the risk of
> missing the
> forest for the trees in a way. At the risk of confusing people who
> are Joe / Jane
> average user, would it be dumb to have two lists: one for the beta
> testers
> and one that's just plain vanilla that is sort of the Anti-checklist?
> I wouldn't mind
> the "long form" if it's function is to check for bugs and errors from
> a compatibility
> and techie standpoint. A plain vanilla list could encompass the
> touchy-feely
> and usability aspect.
>
> Arthur

> We need both types doing the testing. A checklist works fine as a
> starting point. Perhaps Kris could post a small text file with the
> downloads with a list of a few things that he really needs people to
> look at closely for that particular alpha/beta. But it should be kept
> minimal. I usually don't bother with the usability stuff because
> probably like most people on this list I haven't been considered a
> "normal" computer user for many years. No offense intended to anyone
> here.    :-)

<2 Cents>
Heh, Checklisting 101. Bill, I was thinking about it from the analogy of
the engineer who writes a user manual. He understands it fine but it might
as well be in Chinese for anyone else. That's why they get non-engineers
to write the stuff so the rest of the planet can understand and use it.

As it is, I'm a Windows-land guy who's been dinking with all shapes and
sizes of *nix since the mid 90s but as a hobby, not something serious.
I'm not ashamed to admit I just figured out how to use make and make install
to update something. I credit this to PCBSD because it's gotten so easy even
a shlub like me can do it now with only minimal hand holding and goolging
how-to's.

But I am also an average user...of BSD/PCBSD. Maybe that analogy is better,
yes? If someone can give me a checklist to gopher through, I'll do it, I don't
care. I learned something on my own so who knows where rifling through a
checklist might lead someone like myself. If I learn something in the
process while looking at something from an "average user" perspective, it could
translate to something of value for Kris and the other developers that makes
a better and more polished final product.
</2 Cents>

Arthur