[PC-BSD Testing] Alpha/Beta Testing Checklist

Bill Leeper protagonist at charter.net
Thu Mar 19 06:30:59 PST 2009

On Mar 19, 2009, at 5:42 AM, Arthur Koziol wrote:

>> offense intended Ian, I used to
>> test extensively for Symantec a few years back and they used a
>> checklist approach. Personally, I hated it because it got testers so
>> focussed on the list that they ended up just doing just the list. The
>> most interesting bugs were rarely found by the testers who followed
>> the list.   :-)
>>
>> Actually, it would work OK as long as we didn't insist that everybody
>> do that. Being retired I don't have the patience to follow a
>> checklist
>> anymore. Besides, it is always nice to have people who come in and
>> turn on the computer and think I wonder what the hell would happen if
>> I tried this...  Just my two cents worth, but how about just putting
>> it forth as a set of guidelines instead of a checklist. the
>> difference
>> is more a bit of semantics than anything, but I do better with
>> guidelines than I do with checklists.   :-)
>
> Bill,
>
> I see what you mean with the checklist. You do run the risk of
> missing the
> forest for the trees in a way. At the risk of confusing people who
> are Joe / Jane
> average user, would it be dumb to have two lists: one for the beta
> testers
> and one that's just plain vanilla that is sort of the Anti-checklist?
> I wouldn't mind
> the "long form" if it's function is to check for bugs and errors from
> a compatibility
> and techie standpoint. A plain vanilla list could encompass the
> touchy-feely
> and usability aspect.
>
> Arthur

We need both types doing the testing. A checklist works fine as a
starting point. Perhaps Kris could post a small text file with the
downloads with a list of a few things that he really needs people to
look at closely for that particular alpha/beta. But it should be kept
minimal. I usually don't bother with the usability stuff because
probably like most people on this list I haven't been considered a
"normal" computer user for many years. No offense intended to anyone
here.    :-)

Computers can be fun again
                 format C:\
   Alternatives are out there