[PC-BSD Testing] Comments on 7.1b1

Sander Holthaus info at 2insite.nl
Wed Mar 18 01:54:15 PST 2009

On 16-3-2009 13:55, A.Yerenkow wrote:
> Hello Sander, thanks for mail us here!
Your welcome, thanx for answering!

> On 16.03.2009 14:32, Sander Holthaus wrote:
>> After checking out PC-BSD 7.1b1, a few comments;
>>
>> Install was a breeze, but:
>>
>> - I don't quite get the partition layout PC-BSD chooses by default. I
>> went into the advanced/custom settings, only to see that PC-BSD used one
>> partition + one SWAP partition (which was only 512MB).
>>
> Which isn't sufficient for you? swap on desktop system almost always
> is waste of space, as for me. 512/1G si more than sufficient, assuming
> that I had seen in my life 40-50Mb used swap.
I haven't seen heavy SWAP use in a while, but I can imagine that it will
happen in certain cases. I have several Windows games which could run
under WINE which use 1-1.5GB RAM (and use the same amount on the
pagefile). I don't know how WINE manages that, but I could imagine to
see some swapping there.
>> - Not PC-BSD specific, but what is with the keyboard layouts. Every OS
>> asks me this. I live in the Netherlands and there is a nl keyboard
>> layout... except almost all the keyboards that are sold here are
>> US-international layout. For very new computer users, this might be made
>> a bit clearer.
>>
> Actually, I think that we should have near every form question
> (select, input etc) some question-marked little button, with more deep
> explanation.
> Guys, how about something like that? An popup with popular
> description, maybe some examples;
Sounds good.
>> - Last, I switched from nVidia to ATI for my graphics a while back. Not
>> the smartest thing to do in regards to *BSD. The display settings driver
>> doesn't provide any feedback when it came to the best X.Org-driver and
>> selected the VESA-driver instead of ati / radeonhd. It also got the
>> resolution of my display (HP f1903) wrong and set the default to
>> 1024x768 instead of 1280x1024.
>>

> We all hope that AMD will go on with help to xorg, and soon we'll have
> adequate drivers for amd ati video :)
The current ATi / AMD driver on Windows are far from perfect as well, so
I don't have any hopes of ATi / AMD fixing the *nix drivers.

Some additional comments on 7.1b1:

* Flash doesn't seem to work. Not sure if it is installed by default
(should be) or it is my videocard causing issues.

* If the Wireless card (Linksys WMP54G v2, Broadcom B/G radio,
ndis-drivers) loses the connection, it doesn't automatically reconnect.
wpa_cli --> reassociate does the trick, though the KDE-taskbar icon
doesn't properly update the new status (keeps displaying a cross).

* Perhaps personal, but the logon/logoff sounds may not appeal to
everybody (nitpicking, sorry).

* I noticed that denyhost is installed, but a package like clamav is
not. AFAIK, something like ClamAV should be standard, to check email for
phishing and such.