[PC-BSD Testing] BETA1 - 'ufs2 + journaling'

Bill Leeper protagonist at charter.net
Tue Mar 17 12:13:40 PST 2009

On Mar 17, 2009, at 12:26 PM, Kris Moore wrote:

> Arthur Koziol wrote:
>>> it's exactly the same problem which was with 7.0.2, then was
>>> removed in
>>> alpha1, and now it is in beta1.
>>>
>>> regards,
>>> krzysiek
>>> ps: it's my old description of the problem:
>>>
>>> Hi.
>>> when i use 'UFS + journaling' option during instalation, system was
>>> working only to the first crash (you can press reset button to
>>> simulate
>>> this); after rebooting, system halt with that message:
>>>
>>> trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a.journal
>>> WARNING: / was nor properly dismounted
>>> kernel dumps on /dev/ad0s1b
>>> entropy harvesting: interrupts ethernet point_to_point kickstart.
>>> swapon:adding /dev/ad0s1b as swap device
>>> starting file system checks:
>>> /dev/ad0s1a.journal: CANNOT READ BLK: 62850944
>>> /dev/ad0s1a.journal: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY: RUN fsck MANUALLY.
>>> File system preen filed, trying fsck -y.
>>> ** /dev/ad0s1a.journal
>>>
>>> CANNOT READ BLK: 62850944
>>> CONTINUE? yes
>>>
>>> THE FALLOWING DISK SECTORS COULD NOT BE READ: 62850944, 62850945,
>>> 62850946, 62850947,
>>> /dev/ad0s1a.journal:CANNOT FIGURE OUT FILE SYSTEM PARTITION
>>> WARNING: R/W mount of / denied. Filesystem is not clean - run fsck
>>> mount:     :Operation not permitted
>>> Mounting root filesystem rw failed, startup aborted
>>> ERROR: ABORTING BOOT (sending SIGTERM to parent)!
>>> DEC: 28 21:12:30 init: /bin/sh on /etc/rc terminated abnorlanally,
>>> going
>>> to single user mode
>>> Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:
>>>
>>> that error occours on many disks (instalation with option 'ufs +
>>> soft
>>> updates' works fine)
>>>
>>> regards,
>>> krzysiek
>>
>> I think it's probably been said a lot of times but the Journaling
>> option shouldn't be used
>> since I believe it is still experimental in terms of ZFS.
>>
>> Arthur
>
> Correct, nothing is changing between the alphas and beta for
> journaling,
> but I've seen that it can be unstable from time-to-time. Thats why we
> don't default to it right now :P
>

> --
>
> Kris Moore
> PC-BSD Software
> http://www.pcbsd.com

What gets me is that I have had no trouble at all with ZFS. I did a
reinstall the other night and selected ZFS and it has run fine since.
I don't have the recommended system for it, but since I am not running
anything critical on it I am willing the take the chance. Anyway,
Thanks for the information.

Computers can be fun again
                 format C:\
   Alternatives are out there