[PC-BSD Testing] Runports (root) Make Update (Solved)

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Tue Mar 17 11:24:28 PST 2009

Sander Holthaus wrote:
> On 17-3-2009 13:28, Ian Robinson wrote:
>> I attempted a few more times yesterday, each time stopping on ORBit2
>> part of the install.
> The ports tree can "break" occasionally, usually because something is
> wrong with the dependencies or the ports-database is not up-to-date.

Thats right, often things in the ports tree are broken, so its best to
update it often and see if that fixes the bug :)

>> 4.  What is up with the having to make numerous inputs at the blue
>> options screens -- that slows down the installation and requires the
>> user to sit for hours watching the install.
> Than you shouldn't use the ports tree / compile things. The reason
> people use ports instead of packages is that you can set all these
> options. You only need to do it once however. The ports tree is really
> meant for more advanced uses, for normal installs of ports, use packages
> (though I don't know how PCBSD deals with those).

Correct, also if you want to get rid of the blue options screen, edit
/etc/make.conf and uncomment BATCH=yes, this makes it take all the
defaults. Also through the "makeports" option, you can use pkg_add if
you like at the same time. You'll want to refer to the FreeBSD docs for
usage on this.

http://www.pcbsd.com