[PC-BSD Testing] plasma crash

Fabrizio Parrella fabrizio at bibivu.com
Wed Mar 11 06:48:12 PST 2009

I had b1 on since yesterday, here the problems that I found so far:
 - on first start, I tried and tried to configure the screen, but everytime that I was clicking "apply" it was showing an 800x600 resolution.  I  clicked on skip and even if the resolution on "choose resolution" was at least 1024, it changed to 800.  I went into system admin, changed to 1280x800 and it worked, then tried other resolutions, all of them worked just fine.  I settle on 1280x800
 - set the desktop to "folder view", downloaded a PBI from pbidir.com, and the pbi icon was not showing on the desktop.
restarted:
 - resolution revert back to what is seems to be an 800x600
 - as soon as kde came up, a "fatal error" occurred:
        The application plasma workspace (plasma) crashed and caused signal 11 (SIGSEGV)
 - clicked on "show details" and got this message:
        Unable to create a valid backtrace
        This backtrace appears to be of no use
        This is probably because your package are built in a way which prevent creation of proper backtraces, or the stack frame was seriously corrupted in the crash.
 - the screen is now white with a black box reflecting where the last message was
 - CTRL+ALT+BKS restarted screen and here the login issue
    my password is numeric, 6 digits, when I type it (numpad or numbers) when I reach the 4th digit it automatically adds 3 * to it.. removing only the extra ones and continuing looks like that allows me to login
 - login doesn't give me the error message, but it doesn't load PLASMA at all
 - full restart has the same "fatal error" coming up..  I feel like I need a fresh install to fix this

running plasma from terminal get a looong list of errors, the first ones are:
Xlib:  extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display ":0:0".
Xlib:  extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display ":0:0".
plasma(7623) KlocatePrivate::initEncoding: Cannot resolve system encoding, default to ISO 88559-1
Fabry

Fabrizio Parrella
IT Manager
The Queensboro Shirt Company

1400 Marstellar St, Wilmington, NC 28401
(910) 251-1251 x230
FAX: (910) 251-7771
http://www.queensboro.com