[PC-BSD Testing] Fw: X gets lost ?

Peter Brewster peter.brewster at comcast.net
Mon Mar 9 12:37:13 PST 2009

Kris - this "sorta" fixed itself after two "skips" for the display setup.  Now X is working.  ??

Had been using pre-beta versions with display OK.  (Gone now with new beta.)

Network loaded 3-8 i386 from mirror this PM without trouble.  Booted and arrived at display setup with screen looking fine.  Left all entries as they came up.  The trial screen was dead and the screen stayed dead for minutes - until I killed system.  It looks like X worked OK for the download and for the display setup but then got lost, never to return.

System is an ASUS board with Intel 82845 graphics.   Monitor is a Compaq FS7600.

I rebooted several times selecting the vesa, intel, sis-intel and vga drivers, with and without entering the display refresh rate.  About the same result except erratic behavior for acpi and ctl-alt-BS.  (Often neither signal worked and I had to kill power.  Recovery on reboot looked OK.)  Sometimes the invisible display would get to the organ grinder sound but more often not.  When the acpi signal did work the text display looked normal as the system shut down.

Depending in the driver the monitor may or may not get turned back on as display setup gets into trial.  (You can hear the relay and see the power led.)

I had a similar situation very early in the alpha series - I think it just went away with an early update.

Peter Brewster