[PC-BSD Testing] Just sharing a thought I had the other day

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Mon Mar 9 10:45:37 PST 2009

Fabrizio Parrella wrote:
> I think that this is a great idea!!
>
> maybe on the "remove" section, each PBI has a button next to it where you
> can see the "previously" installed versions and you can remove them
> (removing the roll back ability) or go back to it...
>
> the way I would suggest this to happen, and sorry Kris if I am stepping my
> boundaries, is to save the PBI, and a roll back would just be an upgrade to
> an old version.
>
> Fabry

This does seem like a good idea, just tricky to implement. We'll have to
figure out how to do this, since we don't save copies of a .pbi file
after the user installs. I.E. if we remove the old version, and update,
the old version is now gone, and we don't have the original PBI to
re-install it from. We'll have to figure out a way to preserve the old
data, and we also have to consider that some PBIs, such as webmin and
others need to run scripts to install, such as setting up services and
stuff, and we need to make sure that functionality isn't broken as well :)

Kris