[PC-BSD Testing] 7.1 Beta1

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Mon Mar 9 05:17:50 PST 2009

Bill Leeper wrote:
> Sorry about that, I should have included more info. I have an 8500GT
> with 512MB and I tried all three nVidia drivers and the nv driver. I
> have a widescreen flat panel using a DVI connector. As soon as I tell
> it to apply the settings I get the text screen where it generates a
> new xorg. I then come back to the configure screen where I get the
> message previous attempt failed please check your settings and try
> again. This is pretty much the exact same problem I had with the first
> alpha as far as I can tell. I even tried the custom settings to enter
> the refresh rates and it makes no difference. The settings section
> does correctly identify my card as a GeForce 8500 GT.

Ok, here's what I need you to do in order for me to troubleshoot / fix
this issue.

Boot PC-BSD 7.1-BETA1, then hit "7" at the boot-splash to re-run the X
setup tool. Try using the 180.35 driver as you normally would, then go
ahead and hit Apply. After it fails, and you get brought up to the "Your
previous attempt failed" screen, right-click on the desktop and bring up
xterm, then run the following command:

# tar cvf /root/xlogs.tar /PCBSD/tmp/xsetup.log /etc/X11 /root/xorg*

Then go ahead and setup vesa mode as you've been doing, and e-mail me
the /root/xlogs.tar file. I should be able to help get this resolved
with that info :)