[PC-BSD Testing] Dolphin Admin Mode Problems

Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 23:15:17 PDT 2009

Dear Kris:

====================================
On Tue, 30 Jun 2009, Ian Robinson wrote:
====================================
> 2.? GUI Admin -- While opening Dolphin from the GUI in the Admin (root)
mode (Start > System > FileManger Admin
> (sudolphin), it stopped with a blank file list window and the following
error message appeared at the bottom of the
> window:
>
> "Could not start process?? Cannot talk to klauncher.? The name
org.ked.klauncher was not provided by and .service files."

====================================
Kris Moore replied:
====================================
I'm having trouble duplicating this :( When I run it exactly the same way
here, it comes up, and works without
issues, I can delete files in /root, and navigate elsewhere without issue.

Are you doing anything initially which I can try to duplicate this error?

====================================
RESPONSE:
====================================

I have tested this repeatedly with the same result on two different
computers:

[(1) Desktop=HP Vectra VL420 P4 w/ 1.6 GHz, 1 Gb RAM, w/ Nvidia Vanta video
using "nv" driver and
(2) Laptop=Acer Travelmate 4101 P4 Centrino M w/ 1.5 GHz, 2 Gb RAM, Intel
82855 video using "intel" driver.

In each case I have started with a fresh reboot and attempted this as the
first program selected.  The display window is always a blank file list
window and the following error message always appears against a rose colored
background at the bottom of the window:

"Could not start process?? Cannot talk to klauncher.? The name
org.ked.klauncher was not provided by and .service files."

What is similar is that each of these two computers were upgraded with RC2
over RC1.  Perhaps I should do a fresh install of RC2 and see if that makes
a difference?

Otherwise, do you have any suggestions for what information I can send you?

Ian Robinson
Salem, Ohio