Arthur Koziol A-Koziol at neiu.edu
Tue Jun 30 05:46:28 PDT 2009

Ian,

>1.  CUPS on Konqueror:
>
>Arthur Koziol said:
>
>"Went through the Set Printer Options in CUPS and Konqueror acted
>funny when trying to set printer options
>so I opened up <http://localhost:631/>http://localhost:631 in
>Firefox and setting the tray and paper type options went really
>quickly. From then on, printing a test page went fine on all printers."
>

>My experience was similar to Arthur's as I was setting up network
>printers.  Using the CUPS icon (Start->System->Manage Printing)
>loads Konqueror by default.  Konqueror is painfully s-l-o-w using
>localhost:631 and frequently timed out.  However, like Arthur, when
>I used Firefox to load localhost:631, Firefox sped through the process.
>

>2.  Update on Upgrades:
>
>In one of the initial reports about 7.1.1-RC1 I had discussed the
>installation failure when upgrading over 7.1 which meant I had to do
>a clean install.  On those two same computers, RC2 flawlessly
>upgraded the RC1 install to 7.1.1-RC2.
>
>3.  Nvidia Legacy Driver Crashes:
>
>RC2 crashes when attempting to install Nvidia 71.86.09 to the legacy
>Nvidia Vanta card.  I'm glad to hear you are working on
>this.  Perhaps a downgrade to 71.86.06 which had been reliable.

I installed RC2 on a spare SATA drive on my home PC which has a
Gefore 5600. Upon first loading the NVidia driver (173.x if I
remember right), during display setup, it took a dump and the screen
became garbled with red flashing boxes. AFter a reboot and trying
again, everything worked fine. Did you by chance try rebooting and

>4.  Intel Video Success:
>
>RC2 works great on Intel 82855 chipset ("ExtremeGraphics 2").
>
>Ian Robinson

Arthur