[PC-BSD Testing] Testing with 7.1.1RC2

Arthur Koziol A-Koziol at neiu.edu
Mon Jun 29 11:14:30 PDT 2009

> > 3. To some degree I am now able to "turn on" desktop effects but
> it still throws that same error message on my machine with an Intel
> > VGA card in it. Funny thing is when I go to Advanced options and
> choose XRederer instead of OpenGL as compositing type and click Apply,
> > the Enable Desktop Effects settings check-box sticks. No FX
> though. Oh well.
> >

>What intel card is this on? Also, what specific error is it throwing
>now? Can you send output of glxinfo and try running glxgears?

As a slight update, here's some detail of behavior I am seeing and
methods I am trying.

1. System Settings > Desktop > Desktop Effects > check Enable Desktop
Effects > click Apply = Error Message
2. System Settings > Desktop > Desktop Effects > check Enable Desktop
Effects > click Advanced tab > click Apply = No Error Message but
reverts back to General tab, Enable Desktop Effects box in unchecked state.
3. System Settings > Desktop > Desktop Effects > check Enable Desktop
Effects > click Advanced tab > Compositing Type > choose XRender >
click Apply = Error Message
4. System Settings > Desktop > Desktop Effects > check Enable Desktop
Effects > click Advanced tab > Compositing Type > OpenGL > check
Disable Functionality Checks > Apply = Error Message
5. System Settings > Desktop > Desktop Effects > check Enable Desktop
Effects > click Advanced tab > Compositing Type > OpenGL > change
OpenGL mode to either Shared Memory or Fallback > click Apply = Error Message
6. System Settings > Desktop > Desktop Effects > check Enable Desktop
Effects > click Advanced tab > Compositing Type > OpenGL > change
Texture Filter to any other option > click Apply = No Error Message
but reverts back to General tab, Enable Desktop Effects box in
unchecked state, remembers last Texture Filter setting on Advanced tab.
7. System Settings > Desktop > Desktop Effects > check Enable Desktop
Effects > click Advanced tab > Compositing Type > OpenGL > unchecked
Enable Direct Rendering > click Apply = Error Message

Arthur