[PC-BSD Testing] Testing with 7.1.1RC2

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Mon Jun 29 10:25:28 PDT 2009

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009, Arthur Koziol wrote:

> Kris,
>
> Ok, some initial things about 7.1.1RC2.
>
> 1. You might have missed this message from all the earlier e-mails but Filezilla still reports /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object
> "libwx_gtk2_aui-2.8.so.0" not found, required by "filezilla" on launch.

My bad, I copied the correct PBI to the amd64 ISO, but not the i386 one :P

Fixed!

> 2. I added 3 printers with the add printer icon (Color Laserjet 5500, Laserjet 4350, Kyocera Mita FS-9520DN). When I printed a test
> page for each, the 5500 was requesting A4 paper size on tray 1 and the FS-9520DN was requesting A4 paper size on their respective
> displays. The 4350 printed out a test page as normal. This is probably a CUPS thing or default setting in the driver I would guess.
> When I printed something normally and it went through gtkLP, I saw the default paper type as A4 instead of US Letter. Went through the
> Set Printer Options in CUPS and Konqueror acted funny when trying to set printer options so I opened up http://localhost:631 in Firefox
> and setting the tray and paper type options went really quickly. From then on, printing a test page went fine on all printers.

Sounds like a cups thing, or possible the driver :( The "print-test" feature doesn't allow you to change paper size / tray location
it just uses the default, so this kinda makes sense.

> 3. To some degree I am now able to "turn on" desktop effects but it still throws that same error message on my machine with an Intel
> VGA card in it. Funny thing is when I go to Advanced options and choose XRederer instead of OpenGL as compositing type and click Apply,
> the Enable Desktop Effects settings check-box sticks. No FX though. Oh well.

What intel card is this on? Also, what specific error is it throwing now? Can you send output of glxinfo and try running glxgears?

> 4. The Update manager says failed to contact the update server.

Thats OK, I haven't activated 7.1.1RC2 as a valid version, and the update server isn't serving requests for it yet.