Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Mon Jun 22 09:28:05 PDT 2009

PC-BSD Software

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009, Ian Robinson wrote:

> Re Upgrade Failure Attempts from 7.1
>

> Kris Moore asked:
> >>>>>>>>>>
> Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 09:27:20 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org>
> Subject: Re: [PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD 7.1.1-RC1
> To: PC-BSD Testing list <testing at lists.pcbsd.org>
>
> 1.  Can you provide a bit more detail on how your existing 7.1 installs are done? What partitions, what size, etc? I've done upgrades
> here from 7.1 -> 7.1.1 without any issues :P
>
> ANSWER:
>
> 1A.  Laptop.  The laptop was a 1.5 GHz Intel Centrino with 2 Gb RAM, Intel 82__/___ Video, and 160Gb IDE of which only 137Gb is
> usable.   Ethernet adapters were Intel iwi wireless and Broadcom bf0 wired.
>
> The hd was divided into a 40Gb NTFS partition for XP and the other 97 Gb was dedicated to PCBSD 7.1, UFS w/ soft updates, and used the
> BSD boot loader.
>
> The 7.1 installation was installed in April from a DVD as a "fresh install."  There were no problems at that time.
>
> The "upgrade" attempt was done from the RC1 iso burned to a DVD.  The burn was done on a different computer.  The DVD passed the
> integrity check.  The install started very normally and progress continued at a rapid pace until about 2/3 of the way through the
> install process.  The installation stopped and produced an error message that said:
>
> "Install Error.  An error occurred while extracting the system image!  Please check the install CD, or try selecting 'Safe Mode' when
> the installation CD begins booting.  The System will now reboot."
>
> I cannot reproduce this because the /bin directory was wiped during the upgrade so I went ahead and did a "fresh install" using the
> same DVD which completed just fine except for the video issue.  See more on that below.
>

> 1B.  Desktop.  HP VL420 Intel 1.6 GHz, 1 Gb RAM, 250 Gb IDE HD.  Nvidia Vanta embedded in the motherboard.  Intel 82801 Pro/100 fxp.
> The hd was dedicated 100% to PCBSD and was formatted UFS /w soft updates.
>
> The 7.1 installation was installed in April from a DVD as a fresh install replacing (not upgrading) 1.5.1.  There were no problems at
> that time other than the absence of a workable Nvidia driver and the need to use nv.  I felt that using nv took away the performance
> that I had under 1.5.1.
>
> The "upgrade" attempt was done from the previously mentioned RC1 iso and this particular machine had burned to a DVD w/ and HP dvd
> model 640 and K3b.  As stated earlier had passed the integrity check.  Like the laptop, the install started very normally and progress
> continued at a rapid pace until about the same 2/3 of the way through the install process when this installation also stopped and
> produced the same error message.
>
> Like the laptop, I went ahead and did a fresh install.
>
> There was no inconvenience to me from either situation because I had a backup of my configuration and data files.
>

> 2.  Laptop Intel Driver.

> [...]

Ian,

I gotcha now. I'll do some testing with the 71.xx.xx driver again here, but it wasn't core-dumping earlier, so I'm not
sure if this is a bug particular to your hardware or not.

As for the upgrade, I'm kinda mystified as to what went wrong in your case. It seems to work just fine here. If the
install is going 2/3 of the way though, that means it mounted properly, and maybe something is causing a failure
writing to disk / reading from CD. Unless its running out of space on / or /usr for some reason.

If you can duplicate this again, please open xterm and run "dmesg" and "df -h" after a failure and send me the results.

Thanks!