Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 10:18:00 PDT 2009

Re Upgrade Failure Attempts from 7.1

Kris Moore asked:

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 09:27:20 -0400 (EDT)
From: Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org>
Subject: Re: [PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD 7.1.1-RC1
To: PC-BSD Testing list <testing at lists.pcbsd.org>

1.  Can you provide a bit more detail on how your existing 7.1 installs are
done? What partitions, what size, etc? I've done upgrades here from 7.1 ->
7.1.1 without any issues :P

ANSWER:

1A.  Laptop.  The laptop was a 1.5 GHz Intel Centrino with 2 Gb RAM, Intel
82__/___ Video, and 160Gb IDE of which only 137Gb is usable.   Ethernet
adapters were Intel iwi wireless and Broadcom bf0 wired.

The hd was divided into a 40Gb NTFS partition for XP and the other 97 Gb was
dedicated to PCBSD 7.1, UFS w/ soft updates, and used the BSD boot loader.

The 7.1 installation was installed in April from a DVD as a "fresh
install."  There were no problems at that time.

The "upgrade" attempt was done from the RC1 iso burned to a DVD.  The burn
was done on a different computer.  The DVD passed the integrity check.  The
install started very normally and progress continued at a rapid pace until
about 2/3 of the way through the install process.  The installation stopped
and produced an error message that said:

"Install Error.  An error occurred while extracting the system image!
Please check the install CD, or try selecting 'Safe Mode' when the
installation CD begins booting.  The System will now reboot."

I cannot reproduce this because the /bin directory was wiped during the
upgrade so I went ahead and did a "fresh install" using the same DVD which
completed just fine except for the video issue.  See more on that below.

1B.  Desktop.  HP VL420 Intel 1.6 GHz, 1 Gb RAM, 250 Gb IDE HD.  Nvidia
Vanta embedded in the motherboard.  Intel 82801 Pro/100 fxp.  The hd was
dedicated 100% to PCBSD and was formatted UFS /w soft updates.

The 7.1 installation was installed in April from a DVD as a fresh install
replacing (not upgrading) 1.5.1.  There were no problems at that time other
than the absence of a workable Nvidia driver and the need to use nv.  I felt
that using nv took away the performance that I had under 1.5.1.

The "upgrade" attempt was done from the previously mentioned RC1 iso and
this particular machine had burned to a DVD w/ and HP dvd model 640 and
K3b.  As stated earlier had passed the integrity check.  Like the laptop,
the install started very normally and progress continued at a rapid pace
until about the same 2/3 of the way through the install process when this
installation also stopped and produced the same error message.

Like the laptop, I went ahead and did a fresh install.

There was no inconvenience to me from either situation because I had a
backup of my configuration and data files.

2.  Laptop Intel Driver.

Kris said: Also the intel drivers appear to have major regressions in this
build, I'll be watching for fixes to them as well, since my intel laptop
doesn't work right with it either.

ANSWER:  This is solved for me.  I shut down and attempted to reinstall the
intel laptop driver from a cold reboot and it worked.  I used the "plain"
intel and not the i810 nor the intel-3D.

3.  Nvidia.

Kris said:  As for the nvidia, what video card do you have, and does any of
the newer drivers support it?

Regrettably, this desktop has an embedded Vanta series which worked well
with 1.5 and 7.0.x  PCBSD 7.0.x used the 71.85.06 drivers, but the Vanta did
not work with 7.1 final because the 71.85.06 driver was not included in the
package.  You rolled in the 71.85.09 series into the RC1 at my request.
Unfortunately, the 71.85.09 driver caused a kernel panic/page fault and the
spontaneous reboot.  This is 100% repeatable.  I have the core dumps.
Perhaps its a .09 thing.  I'm using the generic nv.  I can try the "newer"
drivers, but in the past the 91.xx.xx legacy series did not work for the
Vanta and the Nvidia site says the 71.xx.xx is the series for Vanta.  It
would be nice if it worked, but you cannot have everything when your
hardware is "old" so I think you might refrain from trying to fix this
unless you want to add the "older" .06 driver into the mix.

This is the only computer I have with an Nvidia Vanta.  I have a couple of
computers with Nvidia Quadro 3400's which use the newer Nvidia drivers, but
I'm not testing on those.

Thank you for your thoughtful attention to me and all your other fans.

In closing, the 7.1.1 RC1 is very nice and notatably faster than 7.1 on this
older HP.  The performance is back even with the nv driver.

Ian