[PC-BSD Testing] Testing 7.1.1-RC1

Jeff dejamuse at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 18 08:26:10 PDT 2009

Joomla is pretty easy to use, though my expertise is in Drupal which has bit steeper learning curve (and by extension, much more powerful).  The whole idea of using a CMS is to obviate the need for learning PHP and MySQL. It's worth taking the time to figure out how to do it. Using a CMS just for forums and static pages is a bit like buying a car and towing it with oxen.

I took a quick look at Joomla trying to find how one might make custom fields in a user profile so one could pick their system components form a standard drop down list,or use a category system to do the same, but came up empty. There is a category module but it seems it's geared towards categorizing published content and not able to apply to user profiles.

Joomla is a mishmash of modules with similar and overlapping functionality and it's confusing as hell (Drupal is similarly handicapped, but the core system is more of a framework and has more innate capabilities).  Someone more familiar with Joomla should do this.  I could do it in 60 seconds in Drupal - infinite depth taxonomies are built into the framework.

I wish I had the time to offer a Drupal redo of the PCBSD site, but alas I need to put bread on the table at the moment.  It's worth noting that the Ubuntu site runs on Drupal.