[PC-BSD Testing] Testing 7.1.1-RC1 + one new issue with Filezilla launching

Arthur Koziol A-Koziol at neiu.edu
Thu Jun 18 06:29:54 PDT 2009

> [...]
> >       > 4. Running Portsnap in System Manager downloaded and did it's thing
> >       > fairly quick but then sat at 100% progress complete / "new ports or
> >       > files" for well over 10 minutes while the HD grinded
> away. Running it
> >       > again an hour later, it finished quickly.
> >
> >       Fixing this now. The first time you run portsnap it has to
> build an index file, which
> >       can take quite some sime. I'm going to add a check for
> this, so we can notify the user that
> >       it may be a bit of time.
> >

> > Yes, that sounds like a good idea. Some users who don't have an
> HD light that shows something is grinding away in the background might
> > cancel it think it's stuck or something.
> >
> >       > 5. When you click Generate to get a diag sheet, it says could not
> >       > start process but this is likely a KDE thing I'm guessing.
> >
> >       I'm looking into this. It only appears once though, which
> makes me think its some cache data
> >       from KDE being regened which causes the error :(
> >

> > I just tried it again and still got the same "Could not start
> process Cannot talk to klauncher: the name org.kde.launcher was not
> > provided by any .service files." message. Funny thing is if I
> click OK to continue past the error message and save the file, it does
> > output the info without issue. Don't worry KDE 4.3 will solve ALL
> your problems (and walk your dog for you too). ;-) This is also
> > present (for me at least) after reverting to PCBSD 7.1 and
> clicking generate.
> >
> >       > 6. Clicking System Settings > Display > Gamma shuts down Display
> >       > Settings. I think this was also in 4.2.4 and is probably
> a KDE thing as well.
> >
> >       It seems to work here, what video card / driver?
> >
> >       > 7. Checking on Enable Desktop Effects" and clicking Apply throws a
> >       > "Sorry...." error.
> >
> >       What video card / driver? Also, did you reboot before
> trying to apply the effects?
> >

> > I selected Intel-3D-Enable. Choosing the regular Intel driver
> makes no diffy either. It's a clunky old Intel 915G (reported as 915G
> > GMCH from the diag) on a Dell OptiPlex GX280 but I have been able
> to use OpenGL in the past. I'm guessing it's because of mesa 7.4 or
> > the new X-Server. 7.1.1 RC is using the 2.7.1 Intel driver now,
> yes? This might improve or be working in mesa 7.5 (any day now). After
> > reverting back to PCBSD 7.1, choosing Intel-3D-Enable, I can get
> all effects and under Desktop settings the Desktop Effects box was
> > already checked on.
> >
> > The exact error message in 7.1.1 RC is a bit truncated in the
> middle but reads:
> >
> > "Failed to activate desktop effects using the ...gs will be
> reverted to their previous values."
> > "Check your X configuration. You may also ..., especially
> changing the compositing type."
> >

>Ahh, yes thats the problem then. My intel laptop has all kinds of
>issues now also, with the new driver / xorgserver, mesa, etc.
>Once mesa 7.5 hits ports, I'll give it a rebuild and *hopefully*

Yeah, that's what I figure too. I can't remember if I read it on
Phoronix or am just in a sleep deprived state of early Alzheimers but
I thought I remember reading that the 2.7.x series were a bit flaky
and that the upcoming 2.8 Intel driver released was supposed to fix a
bunch of junk. It too is around the corner.

> > Ok, and here's one new thing I just found while attempting to FTP
> a text file of the above error to my FTP site with FileZilla.
> >
> > FileZilla, which I just used yesterday, now just crashes on
> >
> > /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libwx_gtk2_aui-2.8.so.0" not
> found, required by "filezilla"
>
>Fixed this in SVN, it'll get re-built with that new lib here soon :)

Great.

Arthur