[PC-BSD Testing] Testing 7.1.1-RC1 + one new issue with Filezilla launching

Arthur Koziol A-Koziol at neiu.edu
Wed Jun 17 11:47:38 PDT 2009

> > Ok, some initial things I noticed which beating on 7.1.1 RC.
> >
> > 1. The new loader screen and animation is slick.
> > 2. Setting up display resolutions and testing modes is hella faster.
> > XServer 1.6.1, I see?
> > 3. KDE 4.2.4 is *much* more responsive. And yay, the KDE guys fixed
> > the issue with text input field shrinking when a bad command or
> > incorrect password is entered.
> > 4. Running Portsnap in System Manager downloaded and did it's thing
> > fairly quick but then sat at 100% progress complete / "new ports or
> > files" for well over 10 minutes while the HD grinded away. Running it
> > again an hour later, it finished quickly.
>
>Fixing this now. The first time you run portsnap it has to build an
>index file, which
>can take quite some sime. I'm going to add a check for this, so we
>can notify the user that
>it may be a bit of time.

Yes, that sounds like a good idea. Some users who don't have an HD
light that shows something is grinding away in the background might
cancel it think it's stuck or something.

> > 5. When you click Generate to get a diag sheet, it says could not
> > start process but this is likely a KDE thing I'm guessing.
>
>I'm looking into this. It only appears once though, which makes me
>think its some cache data
>from KDE being regened which causes the error :(

I just tried it again and still got the same "Could not start process
Cannot talk to klauncher: the name org.kde.launcher was not provided
by any .service files." message. Funny thing is if I click OK to
continue past the error message and save the file, it does output the
info without issue. Don't worry KDE 4.3 will solve ALL your problems
(and walk your dog for you too). ;-) This is also present (for me at
least) after reverting to PCBSD 7.1 and clicking generate.

> > 6. Clicking System Settings > Display > Gamma shuts down Display
> > Settings. I think this was also in 4.2.4 and is probably a KDE
> thing as well.
>
>It seems to work here, what video card / driver?
>
> > 7. Checking on Enable Desktop Effects" and clicking Apply throws a
> > "Sorry...." error.
>
>What video card / driver? Also, did you reboot before trying to
>apply the effects?

I selected Intel-3D-Enable. Choosing the regular Intel driver makes
no diffy either. It's a clunky old Intel 915G (reported as 915G GMCH
from the diag) on a Dell OptiPlex GX280 but I have been able to use
OpenGL in the past. I'm guessing it's because of mesa 7.4 or the new
X-Server. 7.1.1 RC is using the 2.7.1 Intel driver now, yes? This
might improve or be working in mesa 7.5 (any day now). After
reverting back to PCBSD 7.1, choosing Intel-3D-Enable, I can get all
effects and under Desktop settings the Desktop Effects box was
already checked on.

The exact error message in 7.1.1 RC is a bit truncated in the middle but reads:

"Failed to activate desktop effects using the ...gs will be reverted
to their previous values."
"Check your X configuration. You may also ..., especially changing
the compositing type."

Ok, and here's one new thing I just found while attempting to FTP a
text file of the above error to my FTP site with FileZilla.

FileZilla, which I just used yesterday, now just crashes on loading
with the below message:

/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libwx_gtk2_aui-2.8.so.0" not
found, required by "filezilla"

fun, fun, fun!
Arthur