[PC-BSD Testing] Testing 7.1.1-RC1

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Wed Jun 17 11:08:53 PDT 2009

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009, Arthur Koziol wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> The changelog for 7.1.1-RC1 is as below. Please report your findings
>>> back to this list so we can get 7.1.1
>>> ready for a launch here in the near future. 7.1.1 will be the last
>>> release to round-out the 7.x series, so
>>> we can turn our attention to 8.0 and all the major updates that will bring.
>>>

>>> PCBSD 7.1.1-RC1 - Changelog (06-16-09)
>>> --------------------------
>>> * Updated KDE to 4.2.4
>>> * Updated Nvidia driver to 185.14 - 4071
>>> * Updated FreeBSD to 7.2-Stable
>>> * Fixed issues with using the fetch ports GUI causing a crash in
>>> kcmshell4. - 4069
>>> * Improved the System Updater Tray to not use annoying popups and
>>> instead just change the icon - 4103
>>> * Added the older Nvidia 71.86.xx driver - 4066
>>> * Fixed issues with kppp, which needs suid permissions to function - 4061
>>> * Moved /PCBSD to /usr/PCBSD and created sym-link to allow small
>>> root partitions - 3999 - 4004 - 4008
>>> * Fixed bugs when "upgrading" a system that uses ZFS root partition
>>> - 3995 - 3997
>>> * Added support to give higher / lower priority to wifi connections - 3871
>>> * Added ability to edit saved wifi profiles - 3870
>>> * Added ability to "ignore" updates in the updater tool - 3842
>>> * Improved the system updater and tray application interaction - 3832
>>> * Fixed CUPS issues not finding all .ppd files correctly - 3833 -
>> 3834 - 3822
>>> * Fixed bugs with xterm not running - 3804
>>> * Improved the default fluxbox configuration - 3793 - 3794 - 3798 -
>>> 3808 - 3809
>>> * Improved the KDE4 default theme - 3805 - 3810
>>> * Updated the KDM theme - 3812 - 3817
>>> * Improved the KSplash Theme - 3811
>>
>> Ok, some initial things I noticed which beating on 7.1.1 RC.
>>
>> 1. The new loader screen and animation is slick.
>> 2. Setting up display resolutions and testing modes is hella faster.
>> XServer 1.6.1, I see?
>> 3. KDE 4.2.4 is *much* more responsive. And yay, the KDE guys fixed
>> the issue with text input field shrinking when a bad command or
>> incorrect password is entered.
>> 4. Running Portsnap in System Manager downloaded and did it's thing
>> fairly quick but then sat at 100% progress complete / "new ports or
>> files" for well over 10 minutes while the HD grinded away. Running it
>> again an hour later, it finished quickly.
>> 5. When you click Generate to get a diag sheet, it says could not
>> start process but this is likely a KDE thing I'm guessing.
>> 6. Clicking System Settings > Display > Gamma shuts down Display
>> Settings. I think this was also in 4.2.4 and is probably a KDE thing as well.
>> 7. Checking on Enable Desktop Effects" and clicking Apply throws a
>> "Sorry...." error.
>>
>> More as it comes.
>
> Here's some more:
>
> 1. Closing Kubrick throws a SIG 11 error (SIGSEGV), complains about
> "packages are built in a way that prevents backtraces", blah blah

Doesn't do that here, maybe still related to video card / driver? Its an OpenGL app, so thats
possible.

> 2. Closing VLC 0.9.9a throws an error

Thats in the PBI specificaly for VLC. I've fixed it in SVN, i'll get the fixed version copied
over to the DVD before we ship.

> 3. Open Office 3.1 > Presentations > Creating from a template
> complains about a missing template folder
> "/usr/home/<name>/.openoffice.org/3/user/template" but if you click
> the error, which appears 3 times, it eventually goes through

That's something in the PBI again. I'll take a look at it though.

> 4. Settings > Printing does nothing

Thanks, that was a bad .desktop file we didn't need. Fixed

> 4. When trying to print a test page after setting up a printer (Color
> Laserjet 5500 via JetDirect) I get "there was an error during the
> CUPS operation: 'client-error-not-found'

Still looking into this, some bug in the python script I'm sure
(I hate python scripts) :(

> 5. System Logs Viewer complains that /var/log/syslog doesn't exist
> 6. Daemon log complains that /var/log/daemon.log doesn't exist

Fixed both of these already in ports, they'll be in the next RC

> 7. Wine Fonts Folder and Programs Folder will complain about missing
> folders until Wine Configuration is run once but I think this is
> normal behavior.

Thats correct.

> 8. Parley complains about "the following script could not be
> activated due to errors in the script
> /usr/PCBSD/local/kde4/share/apps/parley/plugins/leo-dict.py"

Humm, I don't have parley on my system here, no do I have those files. Did you
add this via ports or something?