[PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD 7.1.1-RC1

Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 05:55:36 PDT 2009

Testing PCBSD 7.1.1-RC1 on a laptop and a desktop.

I attempted an upgrade from 7.1 on each of them.  Both upgrades started out
well but failed about 60% of the way through.  The install DVD had passed
the integrity check.  The error message stated that they would have to
reboot.  The error message also recommended a restart in the safe mode.  I
removed the install media and attempted a reboot from the hard disk which
hung after the welcome menu.  Examination of the disk showed almost all
files were intact, but the /bin directory had been removed during the
upgrade.  Sounds normal.

Next I conducted a fresh install which went well until the video driver
install.  On the portable, which uses an Intel Centrino chipset, choosing
the Intel driver caused a continuous recycling of the video setup screen.  I
had to settle for the VESA choice.  On the desktop, which uses an older
Nvidia Vanta, the 71.86.09 driver caused a "Fatal Trap 12" page fault, did a
memory dump to a file called vmcore.0, and spontaneously rebooted.  This
action was 100% repeatable.  I had to use the nv driver.

After installation, the system operated well.  The default screen and theme
are attractive.  Operations appear to process faster.   Nice job Kris.

In a few hours I will be setting up the printers and using programs to
further test the system.

Ian Robinson
Salem, Ohio