[PC-BSD Testing] Testing 7.1.1-RC1

Arthur Koziol A-Koziol at neiu.edu
Tue Jun 16 14:36:49 PDT 2009

> >Thanks for everybodies patience! I've been working to get 7.1.1
> >ready for testing, and the i386 ISO
> >is now ready to go:
> >
> >ftp://ftp.pcbsd.org/pub/iso/7.1.1-RC1/i386/PCBSD7.1.1-RC1-x86-DVD.iso
> >
> >I'm still working on prepping the amd64 ISO, and hope to have it
> >posted tomorrow sometime. The fixes for
> >it will be identical to the i386 though, minus the nvidia drivers of course.
> >
> >The changelog for 7.1.1-RC1 is as below. Please report your findings
> >back to this list so we can get 7.1.1
> >ready for a launch here in the near future. 7.1.1 will be the last
> >release to round-out the 7.x series, so
> >we can turn our attention to 8.0 and all the major updates that will bring.
> >

> >PCBSD 7.1.1-RC1 - Changelog (06-16-09)
> >--------------------------
> >* Updated KDE to 4.2.4
> >* Updated Nvidia driver to 185.14 - 4071
> >* Updated FreeBSD to 7.2-Stable
> >* Fixed issues with using the fetch ports GUI causing a crash in
> >kcmshell4. - 4069
> >* Improved the System Updater Tray to not use annoying popups and
> >instead just change the icon - 4103
> >* Added the older Nvidia 71.86.xx driver - 4066
> >* Fixed issues with kppp, which needs suid permissions to function - 4061
> >* Moved /PCBSD to /usr/PCBSD and created sym-link to allow small
> >root partitions - 3999 - 4004 - 4008
> >* Fixed bugs when "upgrading" a system that uses ZFS root partition
> >- 3995 - 3997
> >* Added support to give higher / lower priority to wifi connections - 3871
> >* Added ability to edit saved wifi profiles - 3870
> >* Added ability to "ignore" updates in the updater tool - 3842
> >* Improved the system updater and tray application interaction - 3832
> >* Fixed CUPS issues not finding all .ppd files correctly - 3833 -
> 3834 - 3822
> >* Fixed bugs with xterm not running - 3804
> >* Improved the default fluxbox configuration - 3793 - 3794 - 3798 -
> >3808 - 3809
> >* Improved the KDE4 default theme - 3805 - 3810
> >* Updated the KDM theme - 3812 - 3817
> >* Improved the KSplash Theme - 3811
>
>Ok, some initial things I noticed which beating on 7.1.1 RC.
>
>1. The new loader screen and animation is slick.
>2. Setting up display resolutions and testing modes is hella faster.
>XServer 1.6.1, I see?
>3. KDE 4.2.4 is *much* more responsive. And yay, the KDE guys fixed
>the issue with text input field shrinking when a bad command or
>incorrect password is entered.
>4. Running Portsnap in System Manager downloaded and did it's thing
>fairly quick but then sat at 100% progress complete / "new ports or
>files" for well over 10 minutes while the HD grinded away. Running it
>again an hour later, it finished quickly.
>5. When you click Generate to get a diag sheet, it says could not
>start process but this is likely a KDE thing I'm guessing.
>6. Clicking System Settings > Display > Gamma shuts down Display
> [...]

Here's some more:

1. Closing Kubrick throws a SIG 11 error (SIGSEGV), complains about
"packages are built in a way that prevents backtraces", blah blah
2. Closing VLC 0.9.9a throws an error
3. Open Office 3.1 > Presentations > Creating from a template
complains about a missing template folder
"/usr/home/<name>/.openoffice.org/3/user/template" but if you click
the error, which appears 3 times, it eventually goes through
4. Settings > Printing does nothing
4. When trying to print a test page after setting up a printer (Color
Laserjet 5500 via JetDirect) I get "there was an error during the
CUPS operation: 'client-error-not-found'
5. System Logs Viewer complains that /var/log/syslog doesn't exist
6. Daemon log complains that /var/log/daemon.log doesn't exist
7. Wine Fonts Folder and Programs Folder will complain about missing
folders until Wine Configuration is run once but I think this is
normal behavior.
8. Parley complains about "the following script could not be
activated due to errors in the script
/usr/PCBSD/local/kde4/share/apps/parley/plugins/leo-dict.py"

More as they come.
Arthur