[PC-BSD Testing] NVidia Driver 185.18.14 Release June 5th

Matt Olander matt at ixsystems.com
Tue Jun 9 12:12:32 PDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 11:20 AM, Sam Fourman Jr.<sfourman at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 12:40 PM, Kris Moore<kris at pcbsd.org> wrote:
>>

>> I don't see a huge speed increase in 64bit vs 32bit. The big draw of it
>> right now is the ability to use
>> 4GB+ of RAM :) Depends on what your doing though, running Firefox may not
>> show a huge speedup, but some data intensive application will for sure.
>
> using more than 4GB of ram is why I want to use 64bit PC-BSD, We
> play World of Warcraft a lot, and having 64bit Nvidia Drivers are a big deal.
>
> on a side note, maybe even deserves a separate thread, does anyone know if
> wine will compile on PCBSD-64 I know that most every Linux distro has
> wine in 64bit
> so it is possible, I just wondered why the FreeBSD port was marked i386 only.

Hey Sam,

Yeah, there were some recent patches to Wine for compiling 64 bit. I
think it's still some system trickery though as it doesn't appear Wine
actually uses it. Probably just a workaround for now. It should be in
CURRENT but I don't know if it's been Merged From Current (MFC'd) yet.

Once we've got VirtualBox and 64 bit Nvidia dialed in, I can shelf my
Macbook and stick with my PC-BSD laptop 24/7 at home :-)

-matt