[PC-BSD Testing] NVidia Driver 185.18.14 Release June 5th

A.Yerenkow yerenkow at uct.ua
Tue Jun 9 09:11:23 PDT 2009

On 09.06.2009 18:46, Jeff wrote:
> Still nothing on AMD64 support however.
>
> I posted yesterday
> <http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41545&page=27> on
> the NVidia news forum looking for some time frame, but still waiting
> for a response.  At least there's some activity
> <http://www.freebsd.org/news/status/report-2009-01-2009-03.html#Device-mmap%28%29-Extensions>
> on FreeBSD towards fixing the technical issues that are holding this up.
>

> Bad timing for me as I want to buy a new laptop (portable desktop
> really) with a lot of power, hence this beast
> <http://www.avadirect.com/product_details_configurator.asp?PRID=13880>, by
> far the fastest laptop ever built
> <http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=5084>, is at the top
> of my list in spite of the $3K price tag.

Very impressive laptop ;)
> Not sure if PCBSD-64 is worth the grief though, unless it and its 64
> bit apps are faster than their 32 bit counterparts.  Perhaps someone
> here could weigh in on that issue on the PCBSD forum, here
> <http://forums.pcbsd.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13725>.

64 bit generic driver (btw, not only VESA, but also nv) give to you
average speed 2d desktop; which will be enough for web-development,
assuming you have good processor and a lot of ram;
I think you should get option "No OS at all", save a little bit money,
and try 64bit PC-BSD, if somehow it'll fail, you always can use 32bit;
btw, you even can set up dual boot, 32bit for games with nvidia drivers,
and 64 bit for working.

That's what I'd did :)