[PC-BSD Testing] Dual monitor mode not working

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Thu Jul 30 06:04:45 PDT 2009

Jeff,

The dual-monitor stuff in the wizard really only works with nvidia for now. I need to get
a new card to test ATI out with, and figure out how the heck it works :P

Basically, you'll need to setup xorg correctly, before trying anything within KDE. Take a look here at
the first section, specifically the xorg configuration:

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/X.Org/Dual_Monitors/ATI

I'm guessing you'll need something like this setup: (Make sure you get BusID set right)

Section "ServerFlags"
     Option "Xinerama" "On"
EndSection

Section "Module"
     Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension
     Load "v4l" # Video for Linux
     Load "extmod"
     Load "type1"
     Load "freetype"
     Load "glx"
     Load "dri"
EndSection

Section "Device"
     Identifier "device0"
     VendorName "ATI"
     BoardName "ATI Radeon"
     Driver "radeon"
     BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
     Screen 0
EndSection

Section "Device"
     Identifier "device1"
     BoardName "ATI Radeon"
     Driver "radeon"
     BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
     Screen 1
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
     Identifier "monitor0"
     Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
     Identifier "monitor1"
     Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
     Identifier "Screen0"
     Device "device0"
     Monitor "monitor0"
     DefaultColorDepth 24
     Subsection "Display"
         Depth 24
         Virtual 1280 1024
         Modes    "1280x1024"
     EndSubsection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
     Identifier "Screen1"
     Device "device1"
     Monitor "monitor1"
     DefaultColorDepth 24
     Subsection "Display"
         Depth 24
         Virtual 1280 1024
         Modes    "1280x1024"
     EndSubsection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
     Identifier "Multihead layout"
     InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
     InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
     Screen  "Screen0" 0 0
     Screen  "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"
EndSection

If you can modify this and get a true dual-head working, send me your valid xorg conf, so I can
figure out how to get the display wizard to generate it for you :)