[PC-BSD Testing] email lists and IRC VS forums

Ahmad Arafat Abdullah trunasuci at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 19:39:38 PDT 2009

for me mailing list is based on tradition of unix/linux etc when communicate
and respons.. email can be read with CLI, using pine mutt etc..

:)

IRC is good, but sometime it leads to crappy talks..

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 12:41 AM, Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Jul 2009, Jeff wrote:
>
>  A slightly off-topic question that's been perplexing to me for some
>> time...
>>
>> I've noticed that many communities of developers prefer to use mailing
>> lists and/or IRC over forums for communication.  Can anyone shed
>> light on that given that forums seem to be far superior in almost every
>> way?
>>
>> ...Jeff
>>
>> !DSPAM:1,4a6dca7815161282987134!
>>

> Its mostly user-preference, but in my case, I prefer mailing lists, since I
> get the messages in my inbox / blackberry, and
> can keep up to date much easier, rather than being tied to a web-browser to
> follow things. IRC is nice though, because
> its usually instant, and you can chat with people real-time.
>

> --
> Kris Moore
> PC-BSD Software

# uname -a
NetBSD  5.0 NetBSD 5.0 (GENERIC) #0: Sun Apr 26 18:50:08 UTC 2009
 builds at b6.netbsd.org:/home/builds/ab/netbsd-5-0-RELEASE/i386/200904260229Z-obj/home/builds/ab/netbsd-5-0-RELEASE/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC
i386