[PC-BSD Testing] PC-BSD 7.1.1 - Update issue

doverosx at gmail.com doverosx at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 20:38:32 PDT 2009

Brodey Dover wrote:
> It is REALLY comforting to know that I'm not alone. I shall sniff
> around tomorrow some more, but so far nothing that I can see. I've
> also really only hacked about Gnome so we'll see the learning curve
> for KDE ;).
>
> Regards,
> Brodey
>
> On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 9:09 PM, Bill Leeper <protagonist at charter.net
> <mailto:protagonist at charter.net>> wrote:
>
>     I actually have the same issue when doing a new install. It happened
>     when I upgrades to 7.1 and it happened again when I did a clean
>     install to 7.1.1 so in my case it doesn't seem to matter which route I
>     go.
>

>     On Jul 21, 2009, at 1:45 PM, doverosx at gmail.com
>     <mailto:doverosx at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     > Wow, as far as performance increases go, this one reminds me of the
>     > Snow
>     > Leopard previews that I've been seeing!
>     >
>     > That said, I still have an annoying issue with upgrading. It isn't
>     > fatal, but annoying. The task bar, so to speak, is not displayed
>     > across
>     > the entire bottom of the screen. This ONLY occurs when I update. I
>     > don't
>     > want to rm .kde stuff because I lose a lot of the PC-BSD scripts and
>     > break a lot of other PC-BSD stuff at the same time.
>     >
>     > I have a screen shot for interested persons:
>     >
>     http://acadunix.algonquincollege.com/~dove0014/images/screennotstretch.png
>     <http://acadunix.algonquincollege.com/%7Edove0014/images/screennotstretch.png>
>     >  .
>     >
>     > I will most likely create a backup of anything that perks my
>     > interest in
>     > hopes that deleting something will solve the issue.
>     >
>     > Regards,
>     > Brodey
>     > Testing mailing list
>     > Testing at lists.pcbsd.org <mailto:Testing at lists.pcbsd.org>
>
>     
>     Computers can be fun again
>                     format C:\
>       Alternatives are out there
>     

I checked out a LOT of *rc files in .kde and .kde4 directories in my
home directory in the PCBSD directory and the /usr directory and found
no attributes that allow me to fix the issue. From plasmarc I can change
the Offset key and thus adjust where the left side of the panel displays
on the desktop but I could not adjust it's width attribute using plasmarc.

It is, however, an easy fix if you don't mind using the GUI a little
bit. Right click on the panel and unlock widgits. You should now see the
plasma icon on the right-most portion of the KDE panel. Right click the
icon and select panel settings. You can select More Settings at this
point and click "maximize panel" or you can adjust at will. When you're
done playing around you can opt to lock her down and continue to enjoy
your PC-BSD installation.

Regards,
Brodey