[PC-BSD Testing] problems with PCBSD 7.1.1 update

W. Anderson wanderson at nac.net
Tue Jul 21 19:29:03 PDT 2009

I am running PCBSD 7.1 'fairly' successfully on my  main workstation but
could not upgrade to  rel. 7.1.1 due to following issue.

When  DVD install process reached stage of  identifying/selecting my Hard
Drives  - two 36GB UltraSCSI3 drives, it shows no  hard drives at all.

I successfully installed 7.1.1 on a standby test machine, but had two
separate issues:

1.  VirtualBox installed form the DVD, but there is no desktop or menu
icon, and
I could not start application from Programs/VirtualBox  directory.

2. The second issue is non-recognition of "any" CD/DVD in optical drive,
even
after many attempts.

I do not have this optical drive problem with my above primary PCBSD
system - in any
release for last two years, and I have not attempted to install
VirtualBox on this main
(rel 7.1) machine from DVD, not wanting to crash a system running
relatively reliably
for some time.

Wendell Anderson
wanderson at nac.net