[PC-BSD Testing] Small thought about PBIs... Request for comments :)

A.Yerenkow yerenkow at uct.ua
Tue Jul 21 14:03:29 PDT 2009

On 21.07.2009 23:50, Kris Moore wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Jul 2009, A.Yerenkow wrote:
>

>> On 21.07.2009 23:37, Kris Moore wrote:
>>
>>> This is a good idea, that I've also given some thought, but here's the problem that needs
>>> to be overcome first. Our PBIs are each compiled with a different LOCALBASE, which changes
>>> pretty much constantly.
>>>
>>> I.E:
>>>
>>> /Programs/FireFox3.0.1
>>> /Programs/FireFox3.5.0
>>>
>>> This LOCALBASE change effects all the packages / binaries / libraries that are compiled. If we did
>>> use a saved package, then the libraries would be set to /Programs/FireFox3.0.1 as their LOCALBASE,
>>> but the real LOCALBASE should be /Programs/FireFox3.5.0 now. The only way I've found to fix this is
>>> by re-compiling the packages, which is what it does now.
>>>

>> The package can be modified before installation;
>> unpack; change in file +CONTENTS
>> line
>> @cwd /Programs/FireFox3.0.1
>> @cwd /Programs/FireFox3.5.0
>> pack;
>> pkg_add then;
>>
>> Do we have any other stoppers?
>>
> Thats not the issue at all :)
>
> The issue is that when you compile a binary / library with a custom LOCALBASE, that PATH gets
> embedded into the resulting file. For example, do a strings of these files:
>
> # strings /PCBSD/local/kde4/bin/kalarm | grep PCBSD
> # strings /PCBSD/local/lib/qt4/libQtDBus.so | grep PCBSD
>
> You'll see that /usr/PCBSD/local/lib and others are compiled directly in.
> This can't simply be changed with a sed / awk script that I'm aware of.

Yep, I get it after I sent email.

Only solution I see is:
have

/Programs/FireFox3.5.0

and link to it, like this:
/localbase

This dir is symlink to

/Programs/FireFox3.5.0

, all installation goes there, this dir is same for all PBIs, and
doesn't exist in real PCBSD, with installed PBI;
all libs got not from in-compiled path, but insted using LD_LIBRARY_PATH

not sure how about fonts, etc; but for libs should be fine...

Maybe later some other idea appear :)
> --
> Kris Moore
> PC-BSD Software