[PC-BSD Testing] Small thought about PBIs... Request for comments :)

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Tue Jul 21 13:50:02 PDT 2009

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009, A.Yerenkow wrote:

> On 21.07.2009 23:37, Kris Moore wrote:
>>
>> This is a good idea, that I've also given some thought, but here's the problem that needs
>> to be overcome first. Our PBIs are each compiled with a different LOCALBASE, which changes
>> pretty much constantly.
>>
>> I.E:
>>
>> /Programs/FireFox3.0.1
>> /Programs/FireFox3.5.0
>>
>> This LOCALBASE change effects all the packages / binaries / libraries that are compiled. If we did
>> use a saved package, then the libraries would be set to /Programs/FireFox3.0.1 as their LOCALBASE,
>> but the real LOCALBASE should be /Programs/FireFox3.5.0 now. The only way I've found to fix this is
>> by re-compiling the packages, which is what it does now.
>>

> The package can be modified before installation;
> unpack; change in file +CONTENTS
> line
> @cwd /Programs/FireFox3.0.1
> @cwd /Programs/FireFox3.5.0
> pack;
> pkg_add then;
>
> Do we have any other stoppers?

Thats not the issue at all :)

The issue is that when you compile a binary / library with a custom LOCALBASE, that PATH gets
embedded into the resulting file. For example, do a strings of these files:

# strings /PCBSD/local/kde4/bin/kalarm | grep PCBSD
# strings /PCBSD/local/lib/qt4/libQtDBus.so | grep PCBSD

You'll see that /usr/PCBSD/local/lib and others are compiled directly in.
This can't simply be changed with a sed / awk script that I'm aware of.