[PC-BSD Testing] VirtualBox Annoyances

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Tue Jul 21 12:52:31 PDT 2009

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009, Ian Robinson wrote:

> Dear Kris:
>
> I am much impressed with the VirtualBox PBI as it is running fast and efficiently, and your addition of Guest Tools to the PBI lets us
> run it in a large (or full screen window) and share folders with the host system. It is a great addition to the PCBSD lineup.  However I
> have run into two annoyances and wonder if something can be done about them.
>
> 1.  No copying & pasting between host and guest --  Although you are supposed to be able to copy & paste between host and guest, the PBI
> does not let me.

Copy & Paste works just fine here with a Win XP guest and the PBI. You have to install the guest additions, under devices ->
install guest additions first though.

> 2.  Once a file is saved to the shared folder (which is owned by the regular user, not root), the file is stored with very restrictive
> root file permissions.  This is problematic if you are trying to update the save of a word processing file because each attempt receives
> an error message saying you don't have sufficient permission to save the file.
>
> The workaround is to load up Dolphin in the Administrator mode and change permissions permitting others to read and write.  Well, that
> lets you save the file for that instance, but the act of saving returns the file to its restrictive file permissions again.  Thus, to
> update your work, you have to modify the permissions again, so you go around in circles.
>
> I have tried adding my user name to the list of vboxusers in the group members in /etc/group without any improvement.
>
> I wonder, why does the VirtualBox PBI have to be stored in the /root folder and why cannot regular users run it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ian Robinson
> Salem, Ohio

As for the root stuff, the virtualbox port uses a bunch of suid stuff, which we don't support in PBIs at the
moment. (Due to security). Even when we get suid working, it still will be running as root effectively, which may
cause these same issues.