[PC-BSD Testing] VirtualBox Annoyances

Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 11:40:34 PDT 2009

Dear Kris:

I am much impressed with the VirtualBox PBI as it is running fast and
efficiently, and your addition of Guest Tools to the PBI lets us run it in a
large (or full screen window) and share folders with the host system. It is
a great addition to the PCBSD lineup.  However I have run into two
annoyances and wonder if something can be done about them.

1.  No copying & pasting between host and guest --  Although you are
supposed to be able to copy & paste between host and guest, the PBI does not
let me.

2.  Once a file is saved to the shared folder (which is owned by the regular
user, not root), the file is stored with very restrictive root file
permissions.  This is problematic if you are trying to update the save of a
word processing file because each attempt receives an error message saying
you don't have sufficient permission to save the file.

The workaround is to load up Dolphin in the Administrator mode and change
permissions permitting others to read and write.  Well, that lets you save
the file for that instance, but the act of saving returns the file to its
restrictive file permissions again.  Thus, to update your work, you have to
modify the permissions again, so you go around in circles.

I have tried adding my user name to the list of vboxusers in the group
members in /etc/group without any improvement.

I wonder, why does the VirtualBox PBI have to be stored in the /root folder
and why cannot regular users run it?

Thanks,

Ian Robinson
Salem, Ohio