[PC-BSD Testing] Vim hangs

Jeff dejamuse at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 13 13:00:37 PDT 2009

In Konsole, I just type gvim, or /PCBSD/local/bin/gvim and nothing happens.  Can't control-c out our anything - never get a prompt back no matter what and have to close the Konsole.

As root I get this error:

------------------
# gvim
No protocol specified
E233: cannot open displayNo protocol specified
No protocol specified
No protocol specified

When I invoke it from the menu, a box pops up as if the program is going to open, shows the Gvim logo at the top left on the header bar, but that's it - the rest of the box is blank background color.

Happens with two completely different machines with update/repair installs of 7.1.1.

Changed the menu command to: kdesu gvim, give it the root pw, and the program starts up ok.  Weird.

...Jeff