[PC-BSD Testing] 7.1.1 - Server mode

A.Yerenkow yerenkow at uct.ua
Mon Jul 13 10:01:26 PDT 2009

On 13.07.2009 19:53, Kris Moore wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Jul 2009, A.Yerenkow wrote:
>

>> I've installed a server edition;
>> I wanted to test a ThinClient PBI.
>> I found that serer edition didn't enable a "hald" and "dbus" in
>> /etc/rc.conf -- so any login attempt in kde failed.
>> I added this manually.
>>
>> 1. Do ThinClient PBI while installs add these values, if they not exists?
>> 2. I have only one network card, ThinClient didn't ask anything while
>> installing, and setup both  dhcp and 192.168.2.2 on same card; (I fixed
>> this, at least I separated to em0 and em0_alias0) -- I think this
>> behaviour should be a bit tweaked;
>>
> I've not tested installing ThinClientPBI on a GUI'less server install yet. The
> installation itself asks some questions via kdialog, so it kinda requires
> a working desktop to setup.

I installed clean server edition of 7.1.1, and it was GUI'less install
from beginning.
I'm telling about this :)

>> 3. In-menu "Thin Client Docs" points to trac, where I see link to
>> wiki.pcbsd.org -- should be fixed.
>>
> Fixed in SVN now.
>

>> I couldn't tested yet this setup, since my laptop didn't support network
>> boot (oops), and second PC is busy right now :)
>> So I have questions, for peoples, who use Thin Clients;
>>
>> 1. How much RAM per user should be on server? Minimal/Recommended;
>>
> Unsure, we'll have to do some testing to see what it takes typically.
>
> However, this will greatly depend upon whats being used on the clients. If everbody opens a copy
> of openoffice, that may require more RAM than just opening firefox or something :P
>

>> 2. How much Network bandwidth would be sufficient for comfort work, per
>> user;
>>
> You'll want to be on 100BaseT for sure, but I'm not sure of specific bandwidth requirements
> of XDMCP. That can probably be google'd though to find out. It may depend on client screen resolution
> though as well.
>

>> 3. Do these network users are in separate group, or class, or else; Can
>> be limited space/CPU usage/Ram usage per user, at some level higher than
>> per-user?
>>
> The thinclient only brings the client systems up to a KDM login. It does not
> include any fancy user manager GUI or tools yet.
>
> You can add users any way you so choose to provide limits, or restrict things.
> You'll want to dig into FreeBSD docs for advanced user-management.
>

>> 4. Do users see other's HOME dirs? Do all users have some common/shared
>> Dir, to which all have rights to write? Or this should be made manually?
>>
> Again, same as above :) Depend on how you add the users, make directories, etc.
>

>> 5. 64bit server and 32bit clients - possible? this year? next year? :)
>>
> It's defiently possible, I just need to figure out the mechanics on how to
> setup the PBI build server, to build a 32bit program, but package it with
> the 64bit PBI stuff.
>

>> 6. Can I have in one network one DHCP server, two (or more) ThinClient
>> servers, and users will automatically (or at least manually) choose less
>> loaded server?
>>
> You'll need to look at the dhcp stuff / startup scripts for that. I don't have
> any load balancing code in place or anything like it yet.
>

>> 7. Any guides/written experiences exists?
>>
>> We are going to new office this fall, and I think I'll try to make a
>> setup of 30+ ThinClients, so currently I had to experiment and annoy a
>> bit :)
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
> I've got a setup locally here with 1 server, and 8 clients so far. It seems to run fine,
> using Dual-Core Athlon X2, with 4GB of RAM, on 100BaseT. We may need to add to the wiki
> though to update with user experiences :)

This would be just perfect, if you could provide us with some numbers;
like server without logged users --- Ram, ---- load average --- average
badnwidth

8 users with firefoxes, surfing only:
--- Ram, ---- load average --- average badnwidth

8 users with open offices and firefoxes, editing some
documents/spreadsheets:
--- Ram, ---- load average --- average badnwidth

Even if this numbers will be mainly yuor setup's this would be something!

> --
> Kris Moore
> PC-BSD Software

Best Regards