[PC-BSD Testing] 7.1.1 - Server mode

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Mon Jul 13 09:59:04 PDT 2009

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009, Fabrizio Parrella wrote:

> I am very interested in the same questions..
>
> plus I want to add:
> - can a boot CD (or floppy, or DVD, or...) be made for clients that do not
> support boot via PXE ?
>
> Thank you
>
> Fabry

I've run into this same issue :P

So far, I've not found a workable boot ISO / floppy which lets you boot clients
that. I did a lot of work trying with gPXE, but it doesn't seem to like FreeBSD
booting, and I've not found anybody whos gotten it to work yet:

http://rom-o-matic.net/

However, I did find a way to "cheat" and bypass using a PXE Nic. I've taken old systems,
put a 6GB or smaller disk drive in them, loaded FreeBSD 7.2, and replaced /etc/rc
with the attached version.

This modified rc script, simply takes over, gets an IP from dhcp, and then boots via
the network, ignoring the local disk at that point :) Its a kludge, but it does work in cases
of systems with no PXE nic.