[PC-BSD Testing] Happy with 7.1.1 Upgrade Function

Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 12:15:29 PDT 2009

Upgrade over 7.1 to 7.1.1 -- HP wx8200 workstations, dual Xeon 3.4 GHz,
multi-scsi, multi-ide, Nvidia Quadro FX3400.

I am pleased to say I have upgraded a pair of 7.1 computers to 7.1.1 using
the "upgrade" function.  What was exciting about it was that each had some
customization of several configuration files in /etc and a significant
amount of PBI's installed and they were all recognized after the transition
with two small exceptions -- a missing FireFox icon on the desktop and a
Virtualbox virtual machine failure.

A.  Firefox Icon

The pre-upgrade desktop had a Firefox icon.  After upgrade it did not.  I
dragged the icon from the menus to the desktop, but it did not show up.  The
solution to get the icon to appear requires that you right click inside the
"Desktop Folder" and hit "refresh view".

B.  Virtual Box

Following the upgrade, it was clear that Virtualbox "remembered" the name
and settings and location of the virtual hard drive.  However, when
attempting to start the virtual machine, I was unable to get it to start,
and I  received two error messages:

1.  VirtualBox -- Error in suplib0sInit

Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)
Make sure the kernel module has been loaded successfully.

2.  VirtualBox - Error

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine WinXP3.  Virtual machine
'WinXP3' has terminated unexpectedly during startup.

Details:
Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component:  Machine
Interface:  IMachine {4d1df26d-d9c1-4c7e-b689-15e85ecf8ffc}

Overall, I'm very pleased and the performance is better than 7.1.

Ian Robinson
Salem, Ohio