[PC-BSD Testing] 7.1.1 sound issues - solved, kind of ....

Matt Olander matt at ixsystems.com
Wed Jul 8 16:37:15 PDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 3:45 PM, brian<peispud at eastlink.ca> wrote:
>  You are right Kris, but this is a real weird one . It was was trying to
> use my new Panda 10c webcam as the default audio device - for both
> analog input and output ! Unplugging the webcam and rebooting solved the
> problem just fine . My next problem is how to use the webcam with BSD .
> I could try plugging it in after boot, but the old spca5view is useless
> with a uvc cam . Thanks for the help anyways, you guys are great :)

Hey Brian, that's exactly the problem. Since there is no device driver
attaching for the webcam, uaudio assumes it's a USB sound device. I
had the same issue with my Logitech webcam until I loaded the pwc.ko
module from the pwcbsd port.

To get it working, as root I ran
#cd /usr/ports/multimedia/pwcbsd && runports make install clean
<after the port built)
#kldload pwc.ko
#exit
<unplugged/replugged USB webcam>
#rehash
#pwcview

That ran the built-in test capture app for the pwc driver, and the
webcam fired up.

Here's an older list of webcams supported by the pwc driver:
http://raaf.atspace.org/

Although, mine wasn't listed and still worked.

We're looking at doing some more webcam support at iX so we can get a
video/SIP phone solution working.

best,
-matt