[PC-BSD Testing] Surprise !!! PCBSD 7.1.1 Released

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Tue Jul 7 10:11:06 PDT 2009

On Tue, 7 Jul 2009, Fabrizio Parrella wrote:

>  great
> I was wondering, is there a way to do a "fresh upgrade" ?
>
> what I mean is pretty much backup only the home folder, install everything, and copy back
> the home folders without the personalization of KDE...
>
> in other words only the programs folders and emails setting will be saved, everything that
> has to do with kde/plasma will be reset to defaults (shortcuts, menu, etc...)
>
> in other words you get a brand new system with your user information and data from PBIs, but
> all the personalizations strict to KDE (and ports installed manually) will be gone (but not
> the data in home folder about those).
>
> I can achieve something similar by installing a new machine, create a new user with the same
> UID, copy everything from home except the .kde/.kde4 folder.. well, maybe copy the kmail
> settings.
> then I copy the /etc file configurations (and you can use the list that you already have for
> those).
>
> Make sense?
>
> Fabry

I don't have an automated way to do that, but the proceedure you describe should work fine.

1. Do the upgrade
2. Remove .kde4 from users homedir
3. # cp -r /usr/share/skel/.kde4 /home/<user>/.kde4

That should keep all your other private data, but reset the kde4 config. You can also
do this at any time, without doing an upgrade, whenever you want to restore the default
kde4 configuration.