[PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD 7.1.1 Final & Legacy NVidia (71.68.11) Problem

Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 08:26:27 PDT 2009

I've upgraded to PCBSD 7.1.1 final over top of 7.1.1-RC2.  I have had no
success with the new Nvidia 71.68.11 driver -- except to say it did not
cause a kernel panic and crash the system.

This computer is an HP Vectra VL-420 with built-in "Vanta" chip.  Hence the
legacy driver 71.68.11 is the appropriate driver.  I've attempted 1280x1024
and 1024x786.However, the video configuration attempt simply reports that
the attempts "failed".

Next, I tried the "nv" driver.  It also failed.  I was very surprised by
that as it has been the fallback whenever Nvidia's native drivers did not
work.

I've been forced to use the VESA driver with noticeable downgrade in system
speed.

Ian Robinson
Salem, Ohio