[PC-BSD Testing] KDE 4.2 released

Arthur Koziol A-Koziol at neiu.edu
Wed Jan 28 07:12:22 PST 2009

> >> I see that Kris has cleaned out the PCBSD ftp site <
> >> <ftp://ftp.pcbsd.org/pub/>ftp://ftp.pcbsd.org/pub/ > which may mean
> >> that he will be pushing out some 7.1 betas for us soon.
> >>
> >> KDE 4.2 which Kris was awaiting was released today (27 Jan 2009) right
> >> on schedule.
> >>
> >> There is a very interesting and impressive "visual guide" detailing
> >> the improvements in the interface here:
> >>
> <http://kde.org/announcements/4.2/guide.php>http://kde.org/announcements/4.2/guide.php
>

> >> Ian Robinson
> >> Salem, Ohio
> >
> >  From what I've read from a lot of the early releases, this is a huge
> > step and what they wanted KDE to be from the get go. Looking forward to it.
> >
> > Arthur
> >

>I've been running KDE 4.2 BETA2 on my laptop for about 3 weeks now, and
>I've very pleased with it. Its very stable, fast, and had plenty of new
>features to help round-out the KDE 4 feature-set.
>
>Now that 4.2 is out, I will be starting a PC-BSD 7.1-Alpha1 build of it
>shortly. I'll let everybody know when its on the ftp site for you guys
>to test  :)

Awesome. Looking forward to it. Browsing through the featureset of 4.2 final,
it looks to be a winner. Most of what made everyone complain about what 4.0
and 4.1 cut from a functional KDE 3.5.x is now back.

Earlier you said you'd likely release 7.1 around late Feb or early March. Based
on KDE's release schedules of late, there's a good likelihood of
4.2.1 being out
by late Feb. Do you think you'll hold out for that first bugfix
release or stick with
4.2 for the final 7.1?

cheers,
Arthur