[PC-BSD Testing] Testing PCBSD 7.1 Alpha 2

Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 15:10:28 PST 2009

Dear Kris --

1.  NVIDIA WORKING GREAT - NO SYSTEM FREEZE
In an earlier email I had discussed how my PCBSD 7.02 system would  freeze
after my 21" Nokia CRT monitor controlled by an nVidia Quadro FX3400 video
card went into hibernation.  You suggested that I try the setup under PCBSD
7.1 Alpha 2.

I am pleased to report that after testing for the last ten hours, and
letting it go into hibernation five times, the system has not frozen.  I
have had no problems waking up from hibernation, and the wake up is
instant.  The average rest between sessions is about two hours.  I will have
to test over a longer period of hibernation such as overnight.

2.  CONFIGURING THE PANEL & TASKBAR
I noticed that KDE gives you an option to expand the Taskbar using a
right-clicking on it an choosing a full width from the menus.

3.  DOLPHIN & TERMINAL OK.
My earlier comments about Dolphin and Terminal being slow are not applicable
to this system (dual Xeon @ 3.4 GHz, 4 GB RAM), and my subjective opinion is
that 7.1Alpha2 performance on this system exceeds its identical twin
computer sitting next to it running 7.02.

4.  KONQUEROR (ADMIN) DEFECTS
I did notice that when I went to edit some configuration files using
Konquerer in the admin mode, I could not open up directories with the usual
double clicks on the directory icon or the plus sign next to the directory
icon.  Nor when I wanted to right-click on a file to open with KWrite or
Kate, neither of the editors would load.  I am not experiencing those
problems with Dolphin.

Ian Robinson
Salem, Ohio.