[PC-BSD Testing] SOLVED: Firefox 3 Printing with CUPS nicely

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Thu Feb 26 06:41:52 PST 2009

I know lots of people have complained about how FireFox 3 removed CUPS
printing support, and the "lpr" method was  pretty crummy at best, which
didn't let you select different printers. I've come up with a solution
here, which seems to work great for FireFox 3 and any other programs
that make use of LPR. This will be included in 7.1 BETA1 and later.

Note: If you are trying this on 7.1-Alpha, we use a different port
localbase for the PC-BSD ports. You will need to change all references
to /usr/local to /PCBSD/local, and follow the directions listed in our
Wiki before compiling gtklp
http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/Working_with_FreeBSD_Ports

Instructions:

Install the port /usr/ports/print/gtklp

# cd /usr/ports/print/gtklp
# make install

Move the old lpr out of the way
# mv /usr/bin/lpr /usr/bin/lpr.old
# mv /usr/local/bin/lpr /usr/local/bin/lpr.old

Make a small shell-script for lpr
# vi /usr/bin/lpr

/usr/bin/lpr
-----
#!/bin/sh
/usr/local/bin/gtklp "$@"
-----

# chmod 755 /usr/bin/lpr

Thats it! Now when you print in FF3, select "lpr" as normal. and the
gtklp dialog will popup, and let you set which printer, papersize and
other features you wish.