[PC-BSD Testing] Alpha2 for testing

Fabrizio Parrella fabrizio at bibivu.com
Tue Feb 24 16:08:29 PST 2009

ok, installed on vmware and so far I am really impressed

I have 7.0.2 and 7.1 A2 on the same machine same VMware software.

7.1a2 is Faster then 7.0.2 and it looks a LOT better

Love the new system updater, now I was wondering.. do we want the users to
enter the root password to update the systems?  I have about 30 computers
here that I am planning to convert to 7.1... until now I always sent an
email telling them to upgrade, with the new release I will have to go to
each one enter the root password and update...  Maybe Kris can work some
magic on this one and allow the updates w/o root password, but everything
else require password.

I tried the new Printer tool... definitely a great step toward a better
printing system, but still not working properly for me..

I have a printer on the network accessible via internal IP via http.
installing it wasn't as simple as 1.5, it took a lot longer as it was trying
to find the printer.  I could continue with issues with the tool, but I
believe that those are KDE problems and I'll redirect the issues with them.
ANYWAY... installed configured (the new CUPS is missing a lot of drivers
that were there before) and when I went to print.. NOTHING.  I had to remove
and reinstall it in the same exact way, print a test page from the cups web
interface, then it printed successfully.. weird.

Opened Firefox, the printer was set as default, click print.. and it worked.
Now if I want to add my other 2 printers, I will not be able to.. but that
is a different issue that Kris well know (inability to use different
printers in FF3)

I tried to switch to the old standard desktop view.. the first time it
didn't work... I tried again and the desktop appeared under the widget...  I
removed the widget and the icons where not clickable... tried a second.. 3rd
time... every time I got a different behavior... once or twice even crashed
"plasma"... then I figure it out... the "folder view" doesn't refresh !!
got back to the old view for now...

I will do some more testing, but it is promising...  too bad that I will not
be able to install it to my CSRs unless we can use multiple printers (that
is the only reason why they are still using 1.5)

Fabry