[PC-BSD Testing] Alpha2 testing

Arthur Koziol A-Koziol at neiu.edu
Tue Feb 24 06:55:56 PST 2009

Kris,

Wow, what a difference an alpha makes. Alpha 2 has pretty much
eliminated that weird mouse issue I reported with alpha 1. The polish
and snappiness of KDE 4.2 is now very apparent to me and the little
visual stuff they added is great.

Some good news:

1. The Dell I am using for testing has an old Intel card in it and it
was recognized as "Intel" when installing. This didn't happen in
alpha 1. I select Intel 3D for some of the effects and it's g-r-e-a-t
for an old clunker of a card.
2. The ability to change the start-up delay time works again. Woot!

Observations:

1. I too saw the purple PBI Update triangle icon in the tray linger
after updates were installed. Rebooting did cause it to revert back
to the green check mark.
2. In System Settings > Advanced tab, double-clicking Service Manager
throws a "Unable to contact KDED" message. Not too much mentioned on
this when searching Google on KDE 4.2. Just thought I'd point it out.
3. In System Settings > Advanced tab, double-clicking Samba bring up
a screen stating smb.conf could not be found. Is this because the
install is not configured as a server? Anyway, clicking Specify
Location throws a "Could not start process Cannot talk to klauncher.
the name org.kde.launcher was not provided by any .service files." <shrug>

Arthur