Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 20:52:06 PST 2009

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 3:00 PM, Kris Moore replied:

> From: Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.com>
>
> Sounds like the folderview got closed for some reason. By default the
> desktop starts in "unlocked" mode, you may wish to lock it right away to
> prevent this from happening.
>

> > <4.  Hibernation>:
> >
> * * * In addition, while the computer
> > would "wake up" as long as the screen saver was operating, the monitor
> would
> > go black after some time (random time between 4 to 30 hours).  Although
> the
> > monitor's power indicator would change from amber to green after poking
> the
> > mouse or keyboard, the computer would not wake up.  It was, in fact,
> > frozen.  I could not even get to a console.  I had to power off.  Then,
> even
> > more strange, a reboot would not cure the black monitor.  If I swapped
> out
> > monitors and rebooted to the login menu, I could then get my regular
> monitor
> > to work.  Or, if I connected my regular monitor to my portable (w/ PCBSD
> > 7.0.2 of course) and started the portable, the monitor could be
> reconnected
> > to the first computer and work.  I thought it was a monitor problem, but
> > am sorry to say that testing with Windows does not generate the problem.
> >  * * *
> > I have not tried the nVidia Quadro FX 3400/Nokia monitor with 7.1 alpha
> yet.
>
> Could you try this again in Alpha2? With the Xorg 7.4 update, lots of
> things X-related have been changed, and hibernation may also work
> differently.
>
> * * *
>

> > <10.  Okular>:
> > Okular works great except it is stuck in a default paper size of A4 and I
> > cannot find where to change it.  This is a problem because I have to
> > manually feed paper to the printer for A4.  After the document is loaded
> in
> > Okular, changing the paper size as a part of "print properties" does not
> > work either -- even when the PDF file being loaded in was created
> initially
> > as an 8 1/2 by 11 letter size.
> >

> You may want to checkout bugs.kde.org to see if this has been reported
> yet or not. Odds are its a bug specific to okular, and they will get it
> fixed for 4.2.1 if enough people report it :)
>
> --
> Kris Moore

1.  Folder View -- Now that I know the folder is unlocked by default, I
cannot rule out that my wife may have closed the folder and it disappeared.

2.  Hibernation Freeze -- OK.  I'll try to get 7.1 Alpha 2 installed on one
of my HP Workstations w/ the nVidia card, but the weekend will be the
soonest I can do that.

3.  Okular -- Printing limited to A4

There seems to be some traffic about this problem on the Okular-devel
mailing list.  As I read the reports, the problem seems to be identified as
a QT problem and is said to be fixed for forthcoming Qt 4.5.0,, but
apparently is not fixed for users of KDE versions 4.1.x or 4.2.

Here is a sampling of the reports:

3.1.  The problem previously reported as Okular-devel Bug # 174354 (Okular
defaults to A4 paper, even though 'US Letter' is specified in settings), but
it seems that the maintainer attributed the fault to the print dialog
provided by Qt, concluding that KDE has almost no control over it.

See:  http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/okular-devel/2008-November/002025.htmland
the follow-up reply.

3.2 Then it was reported at Okular-devl Bug # 180280 (Okular Default Paper
Size is A4 - Cannot override)

[quote]"When trying to print a PDF file, printer settings for Okular are
"stuck" at A4. ... I did find the method to change the print size for a
individual file when requesting to print, however even though I am able to
change to US Letter size, when the file is printed, the instructions to the
printer are A4, e.g. I get a message on the printer to load A4
paper."[/quote]
See:  http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/okular-devel/2009-January/002621.htmland
following.

In the last of the follow-ups to the immediately previous link, the
following comment was found:

[quote]--- Comment #5 from John Layt <john layt net>  2009-01-13 20:08:40
---
Now fixed upstream for forthcoming Qt 4.5.0, but also bypassed in
forthcoming KDE 4.2 and KDE 4.1.4 releases.[/quote]
See:  http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/okular-devel/2009-January/002678.html

3.3 It is currently reported at Okular-devl Bug # 185296 (Okular defaults to
A4 and you cannot change the paper type)

[quote begins]
"Okular ignores the print settings you specify and ignores the cups
settings. It
prints to A4 paper no matter what. It also doesn't print double sided. You
can
specify whatever you want - it's printing single-sided A4."
                          * * *
-------  Comment #13 From Pino Toscano  2009-02-23 19:18:58  -------

"Please STOP the flood, this is of no help.

There are three issues mixed in this bug report:

a) the default paper size does not respect the KDE settings
   -> Qt problem, as Qt does not read KDE configuration about it

b) you choose some paper size in the printing dialog, and instead something
A4-sized is sent to the printer
   -> this is mostly likely an Okular problem, and I would like to hear more
about it

c) duplex printing is not working
   -> this is a *different* issue, and called bug #175276

But please, *STOP* the flood and just reply to what is your case."
[/quote ends]

So . . . the wait is on.

Thanks for the replies Kris and for the fantastic development.

Ian Robinson
Salem, Ohio